Thread: Camera Recommndations?

Default Camera Recommndations?

Iím looking to get a better camera than what I currently have. I have the Sony HDR CX405. Itís not a bad recorder, per se, but itís not great either. I havenít checked the latest footage yet, but what I have seen from it so far is kinda bleh. It says itís 1080p, but it looks 720 scaled up. If the footage is viewed on a smaller screen, it looks beautiful. Looking at it on a computer monitor, it looks like trash. Scaled up to tv size and itís barely likable. It seems to me that at least 1/3 of the price I paid for it went straight into the 60x zoom that it has for whatever reason.

I recently got my income tax return and am looking to upgrade. The CX405 isnít bad, like I said, but to me, itís not worth the $200 I paid for it (okay, it was originally $300 and I actually paid more towards $160 on eBay). I was looking at the Panasonic 4K camera on Amazon ($700-$800), but the reviews make me worry. Some were talking about getting a unit that was broken on arrival, one person said it broke after a year, and another said it took only a month before it broke. Panasonic seems to be unwilling to work with customers about it too.

Are there any camera you all would recommend? As implied by the previous paragraph, Iím willing to spend some money on it. The range I gave (700-800) is about where Iíd like to keep my budget and Amazon isnít giving me the ďsort by priceĒ option after I fill in the filters I need (Iím avoiding everyone except Panasonic, canon, or Sony (way too many fakes on Amazon)).

Can't really go wrong with the sony a6400 even after all these years. Might be dropped into your budget range. There's always second hand options. However you may be looking for a camcorder and I have no idea what's good in that field.
    The cats are watching us...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Grapes View Post
    Can't really go wrong with the sony a6400 even after all these years. Might be dropped into your budget range. There's always second hand options. However you may be looking for a camcorder and I have no idea what's good in that field.
    Interesting you shouidl mention that, Grapes. I was doing a bit of wishful thinking about if I was to delve into the whole DSLR/Mirrorless thing. My initial interest was the A7iii as it's had a lot of good press but reading a bit deeper the a6400 seems to have a few advantages (some of which might also be considered disadvantages - crop factor, cost of lenses).

What led you to the a6400?
    Tim

Heh, sorry for not clarifying. I was looking for a camcorder. I did finally settle on one. For the price I paid, it better be a good one. I spent about $730 on it.

I got the: Panasonic - HC-VX870K 4K Ultra HD

I will post an update to this thread after it finally arrives and I can test it out. It’s estimated to be here next week. The reviews on Amazon for it has me skeptical because people were talking about getting a defective unit or the unit goes defective after a few weeks or months. The eBay reviews (where I actually bought it from) were...weird. Both sites had a lot of people talking about how great it is. The negative ones on eBay was more about the people trying to operate it and such. Very few people found very few of those reviews helpful. Looking at other camera models across other manufacturers, it seemed like all of them would be a gamble to purchase. So I chose one of the cheaper ones and crossed my fingers. Like I said, it’ll be a week or so before we find out how I did.

Looks good on paper in any case. Hope it'll be good in real life too

Hi Tim,

Honestly I skipped the 6400 and went for the A7M3 since I felt that fitted my needs better at the time. I have used the 6400 since though and I was very impressed but I didn't really take it through a whole set of tests and comparisons. Just a lovely camera. One of the reasons I went full frame though is better low light performance and a shallower depth of field. I suspect weather sealing is also a bit better on the A7M3.

Blog Entries

Thanks for the feedback, Grapes. I had assumed better low light with the A7iii (due to the larger sensor) but some of the YT clips seem to disprove this. At least i think the 6400 would be adequate for my needs.
    I'm not a big fan of massively shallow DoF (for drama, I find if part of a character's face is in focus and part isn't it creates a bit of an unnatural feel - unless you'r specifically going for a BCI of a feature - an eye or mouth) and again I don't think I'd need the extremes full frame offers. On the other hand, it looks to me like the bokeh is (slightly) more pleasing with the A7iii and I really fancy playing with full frame
    No doubt by the time I come to buy there will be new kids on the block anyway.
    Tim