Thread: Very new beginner

Default Very new beginner

Hi. My name is Alan and I'm 67 years old recently retired from Liverpool. I like music and I am current teaching myself Cubase Artists 8 on imac. Since I upgraded to Big Sur, Cubase Artists 8 is no longer compatible but still works on my 2 windows 10 laptops. I am looking to learn some video editing and I was looking for some advice on the best suite to start with for a beginner or any video editing courses i could enrol on, either physical or virtual?

Thank you in advance

Alan

Hi Alan - your best bet is to download the free software called HitFilm Express - there are plenty of free tutorials - you can buy add-ons for it but you wonít need to unless you really want fancy effects - you will learn about compositing which is a key element of film-making

Thank you for your prompt reply, I'll check it out now

Alan

Blog Entries

And try not to be daunted by how "complex" HitFilm is. It's not really - like MS Word and typing a letter, you probably only need to know about 5% in order to produce perfectly good result (assuming what you've shot is perfectly good )
    Initially (unless you want to jump in with video effects) avoid anything to do with "composites" and you'll be up and running in no time.
    DaVinci Resolve is another free possibility, but requires a bit of oomph in your computer.
    (PS Also in my 60s - it may be worth you looking to see if there are any local clubs. In the UK most are crying out for new members and you certainly won't be among the oldest. Check out the IAC
    Last edited by TimStannard; 05-12-2021 at 06:57 AM.
    Tim

Agree with Tim - start small and then try trickier stuff later

It appears you have received a great honour - Iíve been on this forum since 2008 and Tim hasnít invited me to join his film club yet!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by zamiotana View Post
    Agree with Tim - start small and then try trickier stuff later

It appears you have received a great honour - I’ve been on this forum since 2008 and Tim hasn’t invited me to join his film club yet!
    You'd be most welcome, Zam, it's just I heard you'd never join any club which would hae you as a member.
    Tim

I know - Iím cursed with great talent and even greater humility - I always hate making other film makers come to terms with their ineptitude by exposing them to my work

Alan - once youíve got something, just post it in the user videos section and people will give you constructive feedback - you can just upload it to Vimeo or YouTube and give us a link like this - https://youtu.be/sMMTw0cknCo