Thread: Durarara 1st ending changing color drops effect - How to?

Default Durarara 1st ending changing color drops effect - How to?

Hi guys, can you help me identify the effect used on the 1st ending song of Durarara? (link below)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86sLUOnyCPs

Its the one where it looks like there are drops falling on the screen that changes the overall tint of the vid.

If you can name the effect and the program used for it that would be great.

I am currently using SonyVegas Pro 11 right now. Is it also possible to replicate it here? Many thanks!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wtfastone11 View Post

I am currently using SonyVegas Pro 11 right now. Is it also possible to replicate it here? Many thanks!
    Absolutely it is! Unfortunately I don't have 11 loaded so I can't post a veg but here is how I would do it (and have just tested in VP17 although everything I do is available in 11)

Put your two video events on tracks 2 and 4, overlapped for where you want the transition to take place. The event in track 2 should be the incoming video event.
    Tint them to your choice using whatever colour FX you want (I presume you're not asking how to do that - I just used the HSL Adjust for my demo.

[Note: I cannot remember if VP11 has the elliptical mask tool in Pan and Crop - if it does not you'll probably struggle to make a perfect circle, but it can be done.
    It ought to be possible to do a similar thing using a png of a white circle and a tranparent background but I've struggled to come up with a completely working solution using that method in the time I'm prepared to spend on this]

On track 1 place a white solid colour event for the duration of the transition
    Now go into the pan/crop tool for this event.
    Move to the final frame of the transition and create an elliptical mask, hold the shift key to make this circular and make it large enough to cover the whole of the visible frame. This will eventually "contain" your incoming image.
    Go to the first frame of the transition and move forward one frame.
    Shrink the elliptical mask you created in the step above as small as you can get it and move it to where you want it to start. Use the Shift key to ensure it remains circular. Do not go too far (too small) as it is likely you will swap some of the nodes and the expansion will go haywire!
    Wiggle the Opacity slider to ensure the keyframe is set to 100%
    Step back to the first frame and set the opacity slider to 0%

You should now have a white circle that grows from nothing and eventually fills the screen

Change the compositing mode for track 1 (the circle you have just created) to Multiply(Mask)
    Make track 2 a composite child of track 1

Your effect should now work - except we need to create the white border

Copy the event on track 1 to track 3 (you can create new source or not - it doesn't really matter)
    Open the pan and crop for the event on track 3
    Go to the mask keyframe on teh final frame and make the circle a bit bigger (use Shift to retain the corcular shape and Ctrl to ensure it sizes around its centre)
    Go to the second frame and do the same.
    You will have to experiment with how much to expand in order to get a decent border, there doesn't seem to be anywhere you can type in values for size

That will do the job. It is not strictly necessary to use a white circle as a matte - the mask we created on track two could be applied directly to the video event (this would negate the requirement for track 1 and the Multipy mode & parent/child relationship, but I find it easier to work with the white circle. Besides we need to create one anyway for the border.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Absolutely it is! Unfortunately I don't have 11 loaded so I can't post a veg but here is how I would do it (and have just tested in VP17 although everything I do is available in 11)

Put your two video events on tracks 2 and 4, overlapped for where you want the transition to take place. The event in track 2 should be the incoming video event.
    Tint them to your choice using whatever colour FX you want (I presume you're not asking how to do that - I just used the HSL Adjust for my demo.

[Note: I cannot remember if VP11 has the elliptical mask tool in Pan and Crop - if it does not you'll probably struggle to make a perfect circle, but it can be done.
    It ought to be possible to do a similar thing using a png of a white circle and a tranparent background but I've struggled to come up with a completely working solution using that method in the time I'm prepared to spend on this]

On track 1 place a white solid colour event for the duration of the transition
    Now go into the pan/crop tool for this event.
    Move to the final frame of the transition and create an elliptical mask, hold the shift key to make this circular and make it large enough to cover the whole of the visible frame. This will eventually "contain" your incoming image.
    Go to the first frame of the transition and move forward one frame.
    Shrink the elliptical mask you created in the step above as small as you can get it and move it to where you want it to start. Use the Shift key to ensure it remains circular. Do not go too far (too small) as it is likely you will swap some of the nodes and the expansion will go haywire!
    Wiggle the Opacity slider to ensure the keyframe is set to 100%
    Step back to the first frame and set the opacity slider to 0%

You should now have a white circle that grows from nothing and eventually fills the screen

Change the compositing mode for track 1 (the circle you have just created) to Multiply(Mask)
    Make track 2 a composite child of track 1

Your effect should now work - except we need to create the white border

Copy the event on track 1 to track 3 (you can create new source or not - it doesn't really matter)
    Open the pan and crop for the event on track 3
    Go to the mask keyframe on teh final frame and make the circle a bit bigger (use Shift to retain the corcular shape and Ctrl to ensure it sizes around its centre)
    Go to the second frame and do the same.
    You will have to experiment with how much to expand in order to get a decent border, there doesn't seem to be anywhere you can type in values for size

That will do the job. It is not strictly necessary to use a white circle as a matte - the mask we created on track two could be applied directly to the video event (this would negate the requirement for track 1 and the Multipy mode & parent/child relationship, but I find it easier to work with the white circle. Besides we need to create one anyway for the border.
    Thank you for the very detailed reply! I will try this out and hope fully I will be able to replicate it. Appreciate the help!