Thread: Folk Duo

1. Default Folk Duo

Here's a video I shot a few weeks ago for Folk Alliance International's Folk Unlocked online event. I also edited this, mixed the audio and helped out a bit with the recording. The limitations of using small, cheap consumer grade cameras is pretty apparent to me, but I think it came out okay. The expense of proper pro cameras is prohibitive, and I like that in the budget and carrying case volume of one pro camera I can get at least half a dozen of my little cameras. Having some better lights for this shoot helped the look a lot, I think.

One improvement I already want to make it to get some short stands for the instruments to clean up the look.

I shot five videos in two days for this event, but this is the only one that I edited and mixed.

Blog Entries

Very good. I wouldn't sweat the image quality - it's fine and the variety of angles and good lighting is far more important.
    I'd have liked one or two shots from a lower angle, but I guess you were limited.

Soundwise I thought this was fantastic - the guitarist has an amasingly delicate touch for "just strumming" and your recording brought out the dymanics. Mix overall was very good. You get a really full sound. Main vocals sound great (he's got a classic voice for you to work with). I did think the the backing vocals in track two was a bit "in yer face" and needed a bit more reverb to place it properly in the mix but i din't feel this by the third track - not sure if you made any changes or he sang in a different style.

I really like their sound and it's great there are still people making and performing music like this and of this quality.
    Tim

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Very good. I wouldn't sweat the image quality - it's fine and the variety of angles and good lighting is far more important.
    I'd have liked one or two shots from a lower angle, but I guess you were limited.
    I don't think I consciously avoided low angles, I think I just didn't have the option due to the mic stands spoiling them.

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Soundwise I thought this was fantastic - the guitarist has an amasingly delicate touch for "just strumming" and your recording brought out the dymanics. Mix overall was very good. You get a really full sound. Main vocals sound great (he's got a classic voice for you to work with). I did think the the backing vocals in track two was a bit "in yer face" and needed a bit more reverb to place it properly in the mix but i din't feel this by the third track - not sure if you made any changes or he sang in a different style.

I really like their sound and it's great there are still people making and performing music like this and of this quality.
    Thanks for the compliments. I did make mix changes between songs. It could be that the backing singer changed his style and I just didn't compensate enough. Time constraints allowed only one session to mix it, with no time to listen at home and return for revisions. My concern on first listen was that the lead vocal was a bit too crisp, but when I listened to a more produced recording it was virtually the same.