Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XM2 to pc ANOTHER newbie - here we go again!

Default XM2 to pc ANOTHER newbie - here we go again!

Hello everyone. Have thoroughly enjoyed reading all the postings but got tired of leafing through everything looking for that ridiculously simple procedure that I am failing to comprehend. Tearing my hair out as it were.
    OK. Have a beautiful Canon XM2, one HP NX7000 P4 Centrino computer (lap top), one Iomega exterior hard drive 300Gb, and Adobe Premiere Pro. All set and ready to go. Right. You Tarzan me Jane. Can you just suggest to me the type/brand name of the video card/capture card or proceedure that I need to follow to get the film off the XM2 and into my computer so that I can edit it with the Adobe Premiere Pro and make wonderful gorgeous and astounding movies? I assume that with the correct equiment the Canon and computer/PPro will all recognize each other....or?
    I am a photographer and manage to get around all sorts of programmes and problems but this one has left me, well, tearing me hair out. . Should be easy as pie considering all the equipment. When I found the Canon only came with some little dinky programme for downloading still images from the XM2 (STILL images) I just bent me head and wept!
    Hey guys, any info....and as quickly as possible....would be greatly appreciated. And yes my computer has a little 4 pronged thingie to plug into the XM2. Cheers.
    Suz
    Last edited by Suz; 08-16-2006 at 09:47 PM.

Default Capture cards in general and the XM2

Since my above posting I have read more fully through the various postings here and also been through anything I can find on the Adobe Premiere site and even hunted through the Microsoft site. Things like compatabillity between the two (Adobe and Microsoft) is an issue....no mention of the XM2 or any specific needs there....At any rate Adobe suggests, for those who are interested, Matrox and Canopus as 'certified third party' producers of capture cards such as RTX100 for the former and DVStorm 2 and Raptor of the latter. Both come with a price tag that is shockingly high. Now that I have found all of this out and I do hope that it will be helpful to someone....can anyone suggest a lower priced compatible 1394 video interface/capture card or device that would work between my XM2, my computer and Adobe Premiere? Cheers, Suz

Any generic firewire card will do. Even the firewire ports on your motherboard. They are all born the same. Don't go spending 1,000 bucks when 15 is enough. Sure, expensive, known brand cards offer lots more, they're not JUST capture cards.

Light at the end of the tunnel....thank you so very much for responding, 'Mihai'. While this fact does make me breathe easier (or rather my pockbook) if, as you have said " Even the firewire ports on your motherboard" it poses the problem that I have tried hooking up my XM2 to the computer firewire port (4 prong to 4 prong) and hit the 'capture' button in Adobe Premiere with the result that nothing happens. I really feel like a total idiot but the XM2 comes with no helpful instructions and I have followed everything I could read from the well explained Adobe tutorials. I am aware that this is something probably very simple and I am obviously doing something wrong - either that or I should just go out and obtain a generic firewire card and hope for the best. But I want to understand what is going on and I don't. Illumination please? With thanks, Suz

Sometimes the firewire ports on mobos don't work because of defectuous system resources handling. But I'm sure that a generic firewire card will be fine.

That was quick. Again my thanks and I will give it a go....you have been extremely helpful in all of this and I do appreciate the time taken to explain things to such a neophyte. If it doesn't work, I'll be back! Cheers, Suz

Im not trying to be funny but have you got the camera set to 'Player mode' before you hit the capture button? If so and still no luck I'd suggest buying a PCMCIA firewire card, you may also have to buy a new cable with the new card as most cards are 6 pin so you will need a 4 - 6 pin cable. 1 last thing when you plug the camera in via firewire does your computer recognise it?
    ggmabaapbnebtrbatst

I will try everything out again and get back to you with the results. Again thanks to you both for your help and patience.
    In the interrim I have also found the following Canon site (Australia non less) that has some very very good pointers that I wish were in the instruction manuals:
    http://www.canon.com.au/products/cam...2_support.aspx

Hope the link works OK.
    And no, 'yeebsy', when you are a total neophyte and trying against all odds to get something to work no suggestion is ever trivial or 'funny'. Thanks for mentioning it! Suz

Suz, the standard connection between a Mini DV camcorder and a computer is 4 pin out of the camera to 6 pin on the computer? Are you 100% sure you don't have a 6 pin Firewire connector on your laptop? If it is a 4 pin then you can get a convertor plug that will convert from 4 pin to 6 pin and you will then be able to proceed. When you are copying from the camcorder to the computer as said before make sure you switch to VCR or playback mode and not camera or Record mode. I'm not a big fan of using a laptop for video editing unless it has some kickass hardware inside it, generally speaking they are too slow, don't have enough memory and the hard disk storage space is far too small at around 40 to 60 GB, video capture, editing and storage takes up masses of Gigabytes. Some of the projects I have worked on recently would eat a 40Gb HDD for breakfast, I have one project coming in at a gut busting 95.7GB and another one at 54.8Gb.

Nikosony, thank you for the info. At the moment I am waiting for the holiday period to be over as all the computer shops in the area are closed. Yes, my laptop is 4 pin and I shall check out getting a converter to 6 pin and see if that helps. Modes on the camera are as they should be. I am beginning to think I should get some holy water or pollen or salt to sprinkle over everything to shoo the wee ones out and away. I do have a 300Gb external hard drive as I work with huge files for my photography and graphics. That should suffice what what I had a mind to do....if I can ever get the dern film into the dern computer! All will eventually be set right. I just have to wait until this week or the week after. The place is a ghost town.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast