Thread: Video capturing software that will allow you to split up files

Default Video capturing software that will allow you to split up files

I've been trying to stream video from my video camera to my PC using Firewire lately using Windows Movie Maker. However, the files need to be split because they're wayyyy too big to fit on one DVD. For some reason, the .avi files you get when you create videos in Windows Movie Maker won't allow you to split them.

What I'm looking for is software that will let you capture video and allow splitting after. The files are ~13.5 gigs and I'm looking for something that will split them at the EXACT points you want them to, not just in little clips like Windows Movie Maker.

I've read a bit in the forums and am wondering if Pinnacle 10 and Adobe Elements 2 will work for this. Or if they won't allow this, anyone have a suggestion on what will?

Kansas City, Missouri, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Universe 42

VirtualDub will do this and it's free.

Use the frame cursor and IN/OUT buttons to set the start and end points then File->Save as AVI to save the clip. It's better to set the video compression to Panasonic DV, otherwise it will be stored with no compression (and no distortion) and be huge.
    Fav quote - "Experience is whatcha don't get 'till ya don't need it no more."

System - Athlon 1.4GHz, Win98, Hauppauge PVR250 receiver and compressor.
    Software -Magix Movie Edit Pro 10, Nero 6 + NeroVision Express, Moho 4.61, PSP 8.1, Bryce, Quicktime 6.52 pro, Goldwave 5, DVD-Lab.
    Cameras - Panasonic GS9, Canon ES8400V, Canon EOS D20 and Canon A70

Quote Originally Posted by Crusty
    VirtualDub will do this and it's free.

Use the frame cursor and IN/OUT buttons to set the start and end points then File->Save as AVI to save the clip. It's better to set the video compression to Panasonic DV, otherwise it will be stored with no compression (and no distortion) and be huge.
    Is there any quality loss using the Panasonic DV compression method? There needs to be absolutely none. We need DVD quality video to burn to DVD (and not as VCD or DVD either, just burning straight to DVD as data files).
    Last edited by silmatharien; 08-14-2006 at 03:02 AM.

Kansas City, Missouri, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Universe 42

You won't be able to see the difference. The Panasonic DV is the same as what your camera uses.
    Fav quote - "Experience is whatcha don't get 'till ya don't need it no more."

System - Athlon 1.4GHz, Win98, Hauppauge PVR250 receiver and compressor.
    Software -Magix Movie Edit Pro 10, Nero 6 + NeroVision Express, Moho 4.61, PSP 8.1, Bryce, Quicktime 6.52 pro, Goldwave 5, DVD-Lab.
    Cameras - Panasonic GS9, Canon ES8400V, Canon EOS D20 and Canon A70

So I need to split the video up into 3 parts to fit onto 3 DVDs. Can I just do 'save segmented AVI' and burn the parts to different DVDs?