Thread: Commercial video production, book reccomendation.

Blog Entries

Default Commercial video production, book reccomendation.

I can film / edit and am learning about invoicing / contracts ect but now I am looking for a book that outlines some of the principles and practice around commercial video production - the sort of vids that a small outfit may produce for other companies; training / promotional / advertising / 'informational' vids.

Any ideas ?

Blog Entries

One book which I've read and found useful, in that it gave me stuff to think about is "Basics of the Video Production Diary by Des Lyver". I'm not that impressed with his other "Basics of..." series but this one seems to have a fair few tips for those starting out as a semi-pro or those (like me) who have no idea how to deal with commercial/industrial clients who want a video made.

My ex brother-in-law was/is a film producer and he insisted that it was easier to produce a feature film or channel4 documentary series, than a short industrial image video. I've found that broadcasters are relatively easy to deal with, the small manufacturing company or public relations department, looking for a simple, short promotional video, can be a right pain in the ass. I must confess to being less than perfect as a producer, which is why I stick to the easier "creative" side. Any fool (and I include myself in that description) can operate a camera, light a production, or direct a shoot and edit it, but it takes a particular intelligence to succeed as a producer.

Blog Entries

I have got the Des Lyver book and have found it very informative, just about to read it for the second time - with note taking.

My few brief and as yet non paying flirts with doing usefull vids for others has indeed shown me what numptys people cam be. Clients often seem to forget thay are paying you to buy your creative skills and knowledge and not just your time. I have already discovered immense patience is needed with 'non video' types, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing and just because they filmed thier granny falling over last xmas they think thay can start telling you how to shoot....

I remember one occasion when I couldnt do a shoot for some people I was helping out for free ('we'll pay you when we are famous...' ) so they asked to borrow my camera... insulting or what and not something i would norammly do, after trying to explain it wopulnt work and getting nowhere I called his bluff and lent my cam. Well they dropped it, nearly got it stolen and - guess - everything was rubbish- even after I said to leave everything on auto... most of the time they were filming when they thought they were off and vica versa.