Thread: Wanting To Buy A PC, Opinions Appreciated

Thumbs up Wanting To Buy A PC, Opinions Appreciated

What's up fellas?

I'm looking into buying a new PC, which I intend on using primarily for the following...

1: Downloading/burning music
    2: Typing class reports
    3: Video editing
    4: Watching/recording television

Myself and some friends of mine have been making some short videos recently and I love the filming aspect, but I'd like to be more involved in the editing process. I've also seen Windows Media Center recently, which I think is neat as well. It would be convenient for me to be able to watch television while working on a paper or whatnot, as well as being able to record things if I'm not able to watch them live.

I was looking into getting a Dell computer...but the cheapest one I could scrounge up that met what I'm told are good video editing standards was about $850. Needless to say, I'm scrounging money for tuition so every penny counts.

Now I saw a commercial for some circuit city PCs...I log on to the website and find this...

Now bear in mind, I don't need a fantastic editing suite...I'm just looking for something that I will be able to edit on without any tedious slowdowns due to the computers hardware, and something that can handle the installation of a tv tuner card for watching/recording television (which is an additional $95

All in all...if this can work for what I want...I'd be coming away spending $200 less than I would with Dell...and that to me is a tremendous chunk of change. So what do you think...would this be a wise investment for my intentions?

Thanks for any thoughts/opinions!

Two other things...

I should start this by saying that, although I enjoy editing through adobe premiere, I don't know much about computers in general

First, I checked the computer I'm on now (an older computer) and it runs on 2.66GHz. This new one I'm looking at runs on 2.4GHz. I won't lie, I don't know what that means...but I would assume a higher number is better. If that's the this something I should worry about?
    Also, in the event that both of those products in my first post are up to the tuner compatible with that PC? I'm not exactly computer savvy...I compared the requirements, and everything seems to match up, but I'd rather be certain. I'm always hesitant to take apart a computer (especially if it's new:-p)

Thanks again!
    Last edited by IareEthan; 08-11-2006 at 08:21 AM.