Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Importing from DVD

Default Importing from DVD

My parents have a camcorder which records directly to a mini-DVD.
    They came back from holiday with 4 dvds full of clips.

I placed one dvd in my pc. It plays fine and has about 50 clips on it.

When i tried to import the clips into my editing suite I find there are only 3 .vob files.

I have no idea how to read these files.

I managed to try importing one and only got the first clip to load into the timeline. There should have been lots more.

Any idea how to extract the clips from the vob files?

Failing that is there a way to import it directly from the camera? The documentation says it doesn't support direct importing from the camera to pc and has no firewire port. Only an av port for playing on the tv with a red, yellow, and white sockets on the other end.
    Camera is a Sony Handycam DCR-DVD105E and I'm using MAGIX Movie Edit Pro 10.

Cheers for any help.

Kansas City, Missouri, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Universe 42

Import the .vobs then rename to .mpg . VOB files are just mpgs with added control and info packets. Mpg decoding software ignores what it doesn't need.

If your editor still complains, use VirtualDub-MPEG2 to convert to .avi type.
    Fav quote - "Experience is whatcha don't get 'till ya don't need it no more."

System - Athlon 1.4GHz, Win98, Hauppauge PVR250 receiver and compressor.
    Software -Magix Movie Edit Pro 10, Nero 6 + NeroVision Express, Moho 4.61, PSP 8.1, Bryce, Quicktime 6.52 pro, Goldwave 5, DVD-Lab.
    Cameras - Panasonic GS9, Canon ES8400V, Canon EOS D20 and Canon A70

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm sort of making a bit of progress but am running into other problems now.
    Here's the problem:

I picked one of the miniDVD disks looked at the contents and found 3 files - 2 x 32kb files and one big 1.3GB vro file (don't know why there was no vob files???)

Anyway - I renamed vro to mpg.

Now the file plays in media player for about 11 seconds then freezes and media player only reports it as being 1min 22 secs long (though I know its 30mins)

When i import it into my editor i get all sorts of problems. It also reports it to be 1min 22 secs long. When i run the timeline it last for 1min 22 secs yet if i start the timeline in the middle somewhere i find footage that wasn't played when i ran it from the beginning!!??

So, i took your advice and spent 45 mins converting it to avi. YIKES!! 54GB!!!! There is a slight bit of jumbled sound at the start but other than that it is perfect. However, how the heck am i supposed to deal with 4 x 54GB files? I havent tried importing it to my editor as I know it would be a waste of time as i cannot compile the DVD i was hoping for with only 2x100GB harddrives to play on.

Is there no way to get the mpeg files to work?

This method is a bit 'Heath Robinson' but give it a try and see how you get on. Concerning files with a .vob extension, the movie files are all stored at a size of 1GB, just hold the mouse pointer over them and find the files that are 1GB in size. Highlight those and copy them to a folder on your HDD. When finished copying, click on a file and Rename it, giving it a recognisable name and give it the extension .avi, to convert them to this format. This means they should open up with no problems in your video editor, if the audio doesn't play, go back to the DVD and copy all the other files (only Kb in size), I think one of them contains data relating to the audio track (I may be wrong) and when they are in the same folder as the other files, now converted to .avi's, try and open them again in your video editor. Now, concerning .vro files, you will need VirtualDubMod15101, I think that's the current version of it and it should allow you to import .vro files into it, it will then allow you to export it in a number of other - more useful - file formats.

Thanks for that, I've finally got the files to work.

One last related question and I'll let this thread die:

As stated earlier, the file on the minidvd was 1.3GB and looked good quality (the bits that played )
    When I converted to avi with the the first version of VirtualDub I got it was a massive 54GB and still looked very good apart from being unuseable due to the size.

Using VirtualDubMod15101 i found an option to compress using DivX. The 1.3GB base file was saved as a 181MB avi, which is viewable but doesn't look very good.

So, the BIG question...

What is the best way to save these files keeping them looking as crisp as the original 1.3gb file but not being much bigger (if at all)
    I can work with say 4gb files but I'm going to run out of space with anything much bigger.

Thanks for all the help so far.

I tried to post about this last night, but my cold got the best of me and I had to crash.

First, install the Panasonic DV codec. This will give a high quality avi if you compress with it. It won't be small though, about 7 GB for a 30 minute video.

If this is still too big for your editor, you can also use Vdub to chop the video up into more convenient bits and work on each in turn. Use the Vdub frame cursor and IN/OUT set-points to mark the segment to save.

Software -Magix Movie Edit Pro 10, Nero 6 + NeroVision Express, Moho 4.61, PSP 8.1, Bryce, Quicktime 6.52 pro, Goldwave 5, DVD-Lab.

Sorry for the late reply.
    The panasonic codec worked a treat - am now in the process of converting my video.
    Hopefully it will still look crisp when i burn it to dvd.
    Still don't get why a 1gb file should end up as 5gb and look no different, but as long as it works in the end...

thanks for all the help guys, i can see myself stopping by here again in the future.

Rgards,
    Eckie

Glad to be of help and that you finally got sorted out.

The possible reason why your 1Gb file ended up as a 5Gb file is you converted from Mpeg (.vob) to .AVI and AVI files are always bigger than their Mpeg versions. Mpegs are compressed more than AVI's, that's why it is advisable to capture in AVI, edit in AVI and when happy with the results burn out to DVD using Mpeg, which will be played back on a TV which has a much lower resolution than a computer monitor - I think it's something like 35dpi.

A question for Crusty, can you playback PAL videos and DVD's on your NTSC TV, DVD player and VCR and have the picture and sound come out alright? I was just wondering because if we over here on this side of the Atlantic can playback NTSC material on our PAL systems, then is there any point in going to the trouble of making two copies of our discs or tapes, one for PAL and one for NTSC?

Quote Originally Posted by Nikosony
    The possible reason why your 1Gb file ended up as a 5Gb file is you converted from Mpeg (.vob) to .AVI and AVI files are always bigger than their Mpeg versions.
    The size of the AVI depends on the compressor used in it's creation. A two pass compression with XVID can easily result in a file size one fifth that of a good quality MPEG2. But this compression takes time and computer resources to do. The Panasonic DV codec uses a much lower compression rate than MPEG2 to preserve quality and still be fast enough to use in realtime. DV is the compression of choice for almost all video editing today. Multiple recompressions with it will only start to show distortion artifacts at the fifth pass. For TV work, 10 pass results are still good enough to use.

A question for Crusty, can you playback PAL videos and DVD's on your NTSC TV, DVD player and VCR and have the picture and sound come out alright? I was just wondering because if we over here on this side of the Atlantic can playback NTSC material on our PAL systems, then is there any point in going to the trouble of making two copies of our discs or tapes, one for PAL and one for NTSC?
    Due to new chip designs, modern DVD players can play/convert pal to ntsc and vice versa in realtime. Most PC softwre DVD players can too. Older DVD players will fall over if the wrong type DVD is put in.

VCRs are an even worse problem. Few people are buying new VCRs so most have old machines that won't convert pal/ntsc.

So, in short, your mileage may vary. If your audience is upscale yuppies, then one format is fine. But if you hope to sell to old timers, you will still need both versions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast