Thread: Time to upgrade. Avid Liquid 7 or Adobe Premiere

Default Time to upgrade. Avid Liquid 7 or Adobe Premiere

Have been running Studio9.4.3 for a while and wish to upgrade to a more professional package. I've heard Studio 10 is crap, so am trying to decide between Liquid 7 or Premiere 2.0. My main use is editing footage and putting DVDs together of horses I've trained and have for sale. I always incorporate extra sound with background music plus transitions and titles. I have heaps of resources to run these packages. Any ideas please?

Well I think that Liquid would be a logical step up, since you're already familiar with Studio.

Well Studio and Liquid are two completely different beasts with regard the useability and interface. However, I would agree with Mihai in that it sounds like you would definitely benefit from upgrading to Liquid 7. Here are the reasons imho:
    • You do a lot of sound integration - AL 7 comes with Smartsound built in, the number of packs available now from Smartsound is superb and the quality nowadays are so professional (I have the Film Composer volumes which are superb)
    • Transistions and effects - Liquid comes with over a 1000 transititions and effects and these include those from Hollywood FX Pro as well as all the excellent ones Pinnacle's (now discontinued ) compositing program Commotion had.
    • DVD authoring is built into Liquid, and although Premiere Pro 2 now has this too, it's very much more lightweight then Liquids from my experience with it. (It's where Liquid was a couple of versions ago)
    • It's cheaper. You will get a favourable upgrade to a product which is already cheaper and comes with Smartsound integrated. I don't believe Adobe do competitive upgrades to Premiere Pro and it's base price is higher (and you need to purchase Quicktracks from Smartsound if you want the Smartsound integration)

Of course, it's way more stable and better performing than 9.1. It's one of the best and most capable editors out there on the market anywhere.

good luck with your choice.
    Lloyd

That's my opinion. If you don't like it I have others

System: Apple Macbook Pro 17, and an external Freecom 500GB eSATA drive.
    Software: Final Cut Studio 2 (FCP 6, Motion 3, Soundtrack Pro 2, Color, DVD Studio Pro 4, Compressor 3), Sonicfire Pro 4.5
    Favourite Resources: Findsounds.com, Free DVD menus, Ken Stone's FCP Page, Wikivid