Thread: quick help

Default quick help

im so new to video editing its not funny. Ive never done it before but ive been playing with it last night and have had some decent progress. Ive gotten to the point where i can open up a new project and import the video to vegas. Move it to the ( i guess edit box ) and start playing with it from there.. what i would like to know is how to delete areas of the video which i dont want to use... and use some effects to fade in and out...

also i can use the vegas video capture cause i guess something is wrong.. but i use windows medias capture device and i just save it and import it to vegas...

i dont know what pan/crop is or render or any other stuff in that nature.. im so new its not funny.

any help would be greatly apriciated.

Well very quickly basics

In the video area where I guess your piece of video is - you can shorten the clip by hovering the mouse over the edge of its rectangle

This simply is like making a cut

You can then copy or add the footage again make a different cut

You now have 2 rectangles

AT the top left and right of the rectangle box hover your mouse cursor until you see it changle to like an angled shape

This will then allow you to click and create a fade in or out

Thats very basic initially - there is a variety of ways you can perform any one fucntion really which is why Vegas is so good but often complex too.

ya i think i got that part figured out.. also when i try to get it to fade into another "scene"" or whatnot.. it gets choppy..? any idea why?

Also how would you add like a font or something to the beginning to make like a intro of some sort... and how do you add effects?

Blog Entries

What you see in the preview screen is not the final video, that has to be produced by rendering, like having a film printed. The preview window gives you a good but lower quality look at what the finished vid will look like when rendered. This takes lots of cpu power, open the task manager and you will see this.

The preview gets chopyy, the frame rate drops, when the processor is used to the max. The choppiness can be reduced by changing the quality of the preview...Top left of the preview screeen you can set it to draft, preview, good or best; try droping to a lower setting.

It goes choppy during the fade cos it takes lots of processor time to calculate the fade.

Editing when you can see the result in real time is called real time editing and is something we all want and need. As you use more tracks / effects you need to drop the quality and size of the preview to keep the frame rate high enough for good viewing. This is one of the reasons video editing pcs are amongst the most powerfull you will find.

Some editors use the power of certain graphix cards or custom accelerators to help speed things up with varying degress of sucess.

After editing lots of cpu time is taken up with rendering, here the final film is produced sticking all the bits of video together and applying all the effects and fades you have edited in. This can take a long long time, a very long time. A 20 second ident I did recently that had 30 tracks of video and tonnes of effects took 8 hours to render. This is the other reason we all need our own blue gene! http://domino.research.ibm.com/comm/...gene_2004.html

thanks, that makes alot of sense.... ill lower the quality and use the program only.. i have other programs running while doing this.

thanks alot

thanks, that makes alot of sense.... ill lower the quality and use the program only.. i have other programs running while doing this.

thanks alot

any idea how to add font and effects to the film???

By fonts you mean text?

There a generated media tab at the bottom left of the screen, click that then drag some credits of your choice to the timeline and you can edit the text.

To fade in/out mouse-over the little blue corner of an event (i.e. a media clip on the timeline) and drag it. A curved line will appear showing a fade/in.