Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: video hosting idea - feedback would be nice.

1. Default video hosting idea - feedback would be nice.

how do people.

Right we have had a bit of an idea, we are now able to host videos from our webspace. we were wanting to know if any of you have videos that you would like hosting to put on myspace or your own website.

here are our ideas, we are just after a bit of feedback as we are undecided what we should do.

-= idea 1 =- We host your video for a year for a silly price of 5. you dont have to sign up anywhere or worry about paying for extra bandwidth. You send us the vid (at the best quality you can), we will compress it and send you the coding for placing it on your website or myspace (this will include the player). There will be NO adverts or little tags in the bottom of you video. if you need the coding again we will be more than happy to resend it - you can also allow people to download to their PC

-= idea 2 =- We will host your video for FREE! however this will mean that we will place a little ad at the beginning of your video saying "hosted my komatoast" with our web address. Again you will not have to sign up, we simply give you the coding and you do with it what you will. if you need the coding again we will be more than happy to resend it. - you can also allow people to download to their PC

the videos will be in windows media player format. we will not be able to take DIVX as converting it to .wma has posed many problems.

these are only ideas at the moment, some feedback would be greatly appreciated. if you have any ideas about how we can improve on this that would be grand.

2. Default

i cant believe no one has even relplied to say how much of a bad idea this is!!!

We are offering free hosting! you are all CRAZY!

Blog Entries

I think quite a few have beat you to it.

I think the idea, especially as a money maker is a non starter.

4. Default

i understand that there are other places such as youtube and google vids and stuff.
    we are just thinking mainly in terms of us hosting videos for free, giving us a chance to get our name about. the idea of people paying 5 for us not to advertise was just put in there to see if people were interested.

please dont think of this as us trying to make money from your vids as we have said youcan get it for FREE!

like i said they were just an idea.... if no one is interested in us offering this service then fine, i just thought it may be nice to get them hosted by a small company for free rather than relying on the like of youtube.

if anyone has any ideas on how we can change this and make it suit what you need let me know.

Cool

Heres my reply

I am not ohfa with all the video hosting thing, and have just mastered uploading onto utube.

Tell me why would i want to upload my video to you when all i have to do is export it myself and then upload to utube or similar.

I don't see why this would work, but i am no expert.

Good luck with it anyway
    DUDE were's my car
    www.myspace.com/cheapdirt07

6. Default

we differ from the likes of youtube simply because we do not ask you to sign up to use our service. we will not be placing your video on our websites, we will provide only you with the video coding which you can use on your own website or myspace.

the main idea behind this is to save people from spending crazy amounts on extra bandwidth for their personal site, all we do is host the video.

Quote Originally Posted by komatoast
    how do people.
    ....the videos will be in windows media player format. we will not be able to take DIVX as converting it to .wma has posed many problems.
    First, who in their right mind would send you a DivX quality file for you to degrade it into WMV?
    I hate WMV. It drops too many frames and makes a tightly edited video look like crap.

Second, as someone else said, there are already scores of sites that will post your videos for nothing.

I'm not trying to be mean here, but your business model is doomed before you even start.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by worddigger
    First, who in their right mind would send you a DivX quality file for you to degrade it into WMV?
    I hate WMV. It drops too many frames and makes a tightly edited video look like crap.

Second, as someone else said, there are already scores of sites that will post your videos for nothing.

I'm not trying to be mean here, but your business model is doomed before you even start.

to be fare .wmv can be encoded very well, seen your site and clearly you are way too into the divx thing! and who said it was a business model? this was something i thought may be a good thing to offer people who do not have an unlimited monthly bandwidth. i was simply asking people if they would be interested, i do not appreciate the way in which you have gone about stating your opinion.

as i have already addressed - i know there are other site offering this sort of thing!

now i know that people are more than happy using the likes of youtube and are pretty happy with them being able to use those vids as they wish..... thats fare enough.

as for it 'being doomed' the whole thing was an only idea.

i wont bother seting anything up.... job saved
    Last edited by komatoast; 08-08-2006 at 03:25 PM.

Blog Entries

What would be your source of bandwidth?

Quote Originally Posted by komatoast
    to be fare .wmv can be encoded very well, seen your site and clearly you are way too into the divx thing!
    Guilty as charged, because I don't know of a better format (at this moment) for Internet transmission that delivers the highest quality at a relatively small file size. I'm sure a better one will come along, someday, but until it does I'll stick with DivX.

By the way, I also encode in WMV for sites that don't accept DivX files.

I'm sorry you didn't like my tone in my previous response. The bandwidth issue raises questions. For example, if you hosted someone's video, then gave them a piece of plugin code to embed in their webpage to show their visitors, not only is bandwidth being used at your site but would not an equal amount of bandwidth be required by the server of the displaying page to retrieve the video? Where is the gain/benefit here? Perhaps I'm misunderstanding something.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast