Thread: Optimal Sound

Default Optimal Sound

I'm brand new to your forums and I hope to learn a ton from here.

I just recently got serious about armature video production. I'm developing a project that will require regular video production. Each video will be about 1 to 2 minutes in length. They will pretty much consist of just me talking with some graphic text mixed in. Right now I'm using a Sony DCRTRV19 MiniDV camera and Pinnacle 9 to edit everything.

The advice I'm looking for here is how to determine the best location to shoot, with regards to sound.

Are there rooms and/or areas in a house that are more conducive to good sound?

What are ways to compensate for poor acoustics in the home?

Should I look at a better mic than the build in one on my MiniDV camera?

thanks in advance,

Yes, an external mic is definitely worth its money, if your cam has such an input.
    As for the locations... it depends on your project. What is it about?

Quote Originally Posted by Mihai
    Yes, an external mic is definitely worth its money, if your cam has such an input.
    What mic do you recommend?

Different types work for different jobs. Since you will mostly have a 'talking head' in your video, a lavalier is what you need for starters.

What's your project on?

Location should look good

Western Europe

Keep the background noise down as much as possible, hence the tie clip microphone. If you are looking for a much 'warmer' sound then record indoors with a carpet on the floor, padded walls, soft furnishings, to absorb the sound rather than reflect it if you were in a room with bare concrete walls and lots of hard furniture. I hear jumping into a wardrobe with a mattress and a handheld mic is a good idea (matron quick, get the medication...).