Thread: Why HDV m2t footage so jerky?

Default Why HDV m2t footage so jerky?

I have just built a brand new computer with a view of editing my HD movies from my sony. I have captured some footage using HDVsplit and ULead 10 but whenever I view it back on my computer through PowerDVD or windows media player 11 any sort of camera movement appears really jerky.

What am I doing incorrectly?

My computer spec is

INTEL PENTIUM D 940 (3.2Ghz) processor
    ASUS SKT-775 Motherboard
    2GB DDR2 memory
    ASUS 256MB GeF 7600GT Videocard

I captured the footage through a firewire connection and HDVsplit report no dropped frames.

Thanks

Nigel

Please describe how your footage is 'jerky' in more detail. From your brief description so far this may just be an interlacing issue. It might be a field order issue or it just might be a slow PC that can;t keep up.

Default What the 'jerky' looks like

The problem is seen in panning scenes - they are impossible to watch and there is jaggy edges on verticals and horizontals. I don't think it is the computer as HD footage that I have downloaded plays perfectly.

Thanks for you help

Nigel

How fast were you panning? I don't use HD (well not yet anyway) but I remember reading something a few years ago where it said Digital Video has a real problem with camera movements as it has to redraw the background more than in a static shot, apparantly the data rate shoots up for this redrawing process and goes back down again when the camera is static and that could be why you are only experiencing this on panning shots. Therefore it might be the camera or the computer as one or both of them can't redraw or recreate the quickly changing BG fast enough to give you clear and smooth pans.

Quote Originally Posted by ndanson
    The problem is seen in panning scenes - they are impossible to watch and there is jaggy edges on verticals and horizontals. I don't think it is the computer as HD footage that I have downloaded plays perfectly.

Thanks for you help

Nigel
    sounds like your playing an interlaced video on a non-interlaced device. you need to de-interlace your footage. Unless of course your intend to make a dvd out of it to play on your set top box in which case you will want an interlaced signal.