Thread: can i clean the sound up on my mini dv?

Default can i clean the sound up on my mini dv?

hello

i took an hours footage of my lads school play. came out fine, and ive made an avi from it ready for dvd, but i was standing just behind a fan all the time. the sound was stifled a little in the first place, as a lot of the kids mumble their words, but its made a little worse with the low drone of the fan.

am i stuck with this, or is there any way of editing out the soundwaves from the fan and making it clearer?

thanks a lot

2. Default

im afraid it sounds as though you are stuck with it, you may be able to take out a little of the fan noise but then you will be left with more high end of the sound and less of the bass making it sound tinny.

this is from my experience..... im sure a sound tech would be able to do more.

yeah, thats what i thought :-(

thanks anyway mate.

You could use adobe audition and use the noise filter. There is a demo somewhere about the same problem you have which reduces a churches fan noise and sounds great.

I am no expert on this subject but it did impress me to buy audition. What you need to do is find a part of the sound with just the fans on it. Isolate it then process it through the noise filter then apply it to the rest of your clip. You can add or sutract the noise as you see fit

Hope this helps
    DUDE were's my car
    www.myspace.com/cheapdirt07

Quote Originally Posted by FNG
    You could use adobe audition and use the noise filter. There is a demo somewhere about the same problem you have which reduces a churches fan noise and sounds great.

I am no expert on this subject but it did impress me to buy audition. What you need to do is find a part of the sound with just the fans on it. Isolate it then process it through the noise filter then apply it to the rest of your clip. You can add or sutract the noise as you see fit

Hope this helps
    The tutorial you're thinking about is over at wrigleyvideo.

You may be able to also boost the voices a little to compensate.
    The unfortunate thing with introduced noise is unlike line hum, it often occupies a wide spectrum of frequencies making it very difficult to filter out without affecting the audio you want to keep.
    Mark Spivey is a professional musician/sound engineer with experience in the film industry and online media.