Thread: AVI to MPEG - why the loss of sound?

Default AVI to MPEG - why the loss of sound?

hello

ive captured mini dv to my pc, then used TMPGEnc to change it to mpeg, ready for authoring to dvd.

ive played back the mpeg in windows media player and am fairly pleased with the result. all except the last 5 minutes. then the sound goes off, and the picture goes a bit 'blocky'.

can anyone suggest a reason for this please? i played back the avi file to check that was fine, and it is. so im losing something in the changeover.

thanks

I have never used TMPGEnc so I can only give general advice, if the .avi file is playing back fine then you need to check the settings in TMPGEnc and see if they are correct or set at the best values to give you good quality in both terms of picture and sound. Why you are loosing the last five minutes of audio I don't know, is there some setting in TMPGEnc that limits the amount of audio? Do you have to select the entire project or timeline (only guessing here)? Just out of curiosity, what is the spec of your computer and when did you last defrag your hard disk?

hmmm......ive looked through settings, and cant see anything that would cause this.

defrag? oooh, aaaaaages ago! i actually tried defragging a while ago, but when it 'analyzed' it, it said it didnt need doing. but then i tried anyway, but it said there wasnt enough space left to do it cos it needed 15% or something. that was on the c drive tho. hard drive is split between c and d. d has been done.

i think it uses the d drive for storing the files etc, so that would be the one that needed defragging anyway wouldnt it? but then again, the actual program would be loaded onto c. so im a little confused here........

why could the defrag issue maybe cause this problem anyway? what happens?

thanks a lot for your suggestion.

Blog Entries

Full drives are slow, fragged full drives even slower. When doing video your system needs to be loved and cared for.

It is quite possible that problems similar to yours crop up when drives are full / fragged.

You definitely need to defrag your main drive on a regualar basis when working with video. If I have'nt defragged it in a while and it still says I don't need to, I look at the display and see how big the red bars are (fragmented files - files are scattered to the four corners of the drive - yes, I know platters are circular) and if they are above a certain size I still go ahead and defrag. Your hard drive is partitioned into two parts, just defrag the one that you store your files and have your programs on, possibly the OS is on the same drive aswell with a compressed version of your OS on the other partition, that's common practice now rather than giving out copies of the OS on CD. The program may be creating temporary files on one drive and not be able to access them at the time of creating your video.

thanks. ill try and dump some progs and get a defrag done, then ill report back.

thanks again

right.......defragged, and its still EXACTLY the same!!

it loses sound and goes all blocky on exactly the same moment to the second. so cant be a defrag prob then :-/

any other ideas? it certainly would point at being a problem in the program settings, but i certainly cant see any sound limitation settings anywhere.

How old is your copy of TMPGEnc? If the entire file was being 'corrupted' I would say that you would need to get a more upto date version of TMPGEnc, but as it is only the last few minutes it's difficult to pinpoint the exact cause.

On second thoughts, can you copy and paste the settings in TMPGEnc into your next post so we can have a look at them and see if anything looks amiss. Post the settings for the video, audio, compression/codecs used, export settings etc.