Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fast as you like!

Blog Entries

Default Fast as you like!

What with not being able to justify upgrading (again), I've been out of the loop when it comes to processors and the like... but look at these encoding benchmarks

http://tomshardware.co.uk/2006/07/14...uk/page15.html

top notch!! - considering an upgrade myself soon.. I think we may have a winner with those speeds...

Intrigueing. OK, Intel is now officially on my list for a future upgrade, which will probably happen in September or October.
    I've been thinking about getting a top-notch laptop for a portable Avid system and Core Duo will probably be my choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Mihai
    Intrigueing. OK, Intel is now officially on my list for a future upgrade, which will probably happen in September or October.
    I've been thinking about getting a top-notch laptop for a portable Avid system and Core Duo will probably be my choice.
    I have a 2gig core duo and it flies, but Avid absolutely refuses to run with the realtek HD audio, so keep this in mind when you make your chioce.
    Canon, Edius, Final Cut Studio, Always Progressive, Promotional Video Production

Blog Entries

Core duo for me soon too. Roll on the quad cores eh. Sun already have a 32 core for servers - where will it all end, jeepers I remember thinknig my amiga 1200 was the dogs at 14Mhz on one core.
    Last edited by Mark W; 08-21-2006 at 10:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by miwhel
    I have a 2gig core duo and it flies, but Avid absolutely refuses to run with the realtek HD audio, so keep this in mind when you make your chioce.
    Oops! Good to know. Thanks.

That's it! I can't take it any more. Time for an upgrade - on Sep 8. My computer has become ridiculously slow, I mean 3 GHz Athlon64 + 1 GB RAM takes like 4:1 rendering times, not to mention frequent crashes. I reinstalled Windows like 2 months ago and now it's sluggish again. Avid takes forever for a simple conversion, Pinnacle refuses to render after a couple of minutes, and I've also installed Premiere Pro 2.0 and MediaStudio Pro 8 for comparison - Premiere hangs often because of my ancient, 64-meg video card... come on, I'm not gonna buy Media Studio and change all of my habits when I can simply upgrade the PC. I think it's time for SATA RAID after all.

Blog Entries

RAID - you mean fast or safe? I was thinking of a fast sata raid with raptors for my system disc, but I found a test that looked at the effect of fast sata raid, it was only a tiny bit faster than a single raptor.

Fast SATA, of course. Mirroring is of no interest to me. No important data to hold on to.

On thursday I installed 2 SATA2 raids in my main PC (2x 80gb not raptors system and 2x 300gb Video drive) running a dual core 840 and haven't yet had to render anything in PPro2 even magic bullet looks, but the performance in AE 7 stays about the same.

In my experience coming from a hardware background I would say Dual core is a big yes, but it must be complimented with a decent raid setup to get the best from it, especially if using DDR2 ram.
    Canon, Edius, Final Cut Studio, Always Progressive, Promotional Video Production

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast