Thread: New to Adobe Premiere Pro 7

Default New to Adobe Premiere Pro 7

I just got Adobe Premiere Pro 7. Great Software!
    My only real problem that has been bugging me for days is encoding.
    I'm using Adobe Premiere Pro for a future project I'm working on for an internet TV show.
    I'd like to have a master (high quality) copy, also for burning to a DVD for later, and then the internet/low quality.

When i save my master copy avi first, the quality is great and no glitches..it's produce fine. But 2 minutes of a video is about 600MB!! I'm using the Microsoft DVAVI quality and not compressing the sound or video, because i want this the master. But 600mb for only 2 minutes of content? Isn't that really wasted space? What should i use for a good high quality master copy.

Then I want the low quality "up for download" quality.
    I tried using DivX but I kept having problems. the quality would be poor and file siize a bit too big still for what I thought it should be.

So i'm curious to know. What good video and audio settings should I do for both a master/highquality copy. and a internet "up for download" low quality version? WHat codecs, whats good to save space, what settings am i looking for?

Thank you everybody.

Edit: I also would rather not use Windows Media Video files just for certain compatibility issues for people to download online.

Blog Entries

DV AVI will output an exact copy of the video you fed to your PC using your DV cam. The data rate of DV video is 3.5MB/sec, so yes, the file sizes are huge. But if you want to edit the data later, it's the best format to use.

If you want a visually lossless quality (in practice the conversion will be lossy, but the naked eye can't detect that), then save as DVD compliant MPEG2. That way all you ever have to do is add your video to a DVD authoring app and burn the VOB files (no transcoding to MPEG2 necessary).

I would advise you reconsider the use of WMV. WMV8 would be 100% compatible with all win XP boxes out there, and WMP would prompt for an update on just about anything after NT or 95 (i think). The use of Xvid or DivX is admorable though

As for the quality, well that's a subjective thing. Just bear in mind that download quality invariably means reduced quality! Again, depends on how big you want the download to be and how long the video!!!

Thank you so much for your answer, it has helped me. I have decided to use WMV simply because it compresses better, less space better quality. i cant seem to fine tune DivX at all so I can't use that.

As for my my master copy, I dont need to go any better than standard DVD mpeg2 quality. So What's the best way to encode my 640 480 master copy for mpeg2?

Blog Entries

For NTSC (you're from the states I see) use 720*480 with uncompressed audio and a video bit rate less than 8mbits/sec (you'll get an hour of video).