Thread: Some Good News (I think) for Panasonic SV-AV100 users !!!

Default Some Good News (I think) for Panasonic SV-AV100 users !!!

Here’s a method to enable MOD files to be opened automatically, AND ALSO A GREAT FREE MEDIA PLAYER to play the Panasonic MP2 files – not only on a PC, but also on a MAC !!!

It’s fairly easy to set the PC to recognize and open MOD files automatically without having to rename the files. Depending what program you prefer to be the program of choice to open the files (you must have a program that can open/play the files – I’ve set up VideoRedo as the default program), just do the following:

1) open Windows Explorer by either going to the program menu under “Accessories” or just by opening some file on your computer (ie. “My computer” “My Documents”, etc.)
    2) Open “Folder Options” under “Tools”
    3) Open “File Types”
    4) Click on “New”, then type in “MOD”, then click on “OK”
    5) While the new listing of “MOD MOD File” is shaded, click on “Advanced” in the bottom box
    6) Then click on “Change Icon” and choose the icon for the program you will use to open the files – if the program icon is not shown in the presented group, click on “browse” and go through your files to locate the program and its icon that you plan to use – for me the VideoRedo icon – and click on it
    7) Then click on “New” to the right of the empty square for actions, and in the “New Action” block that comes up, type ‘open’ in the Action space, click on browse and find the program you want for that action and click on it, then click on ‘OK’
    Then click on “New” again for “Actions” and type in “play” in the Action space, click on browse and find the desired program and then click on the program and then ‘OK’
    9) Then click on “OK” again and you’re all set – from then on, MOD files will be automatically opened and played with the program you have selected – no more hassles with changing file names! With VideoRedo you have a choice to save whole or edited MOD files you have opened as MPEG or VOB files.

I have had constant problems getting my windows media player to recognize and play MPG2 files – have wasted much time installing codecs, including Stinkys, etc., with the only result being much frustration!! Thus did some searching and found a FANTASTIC FREE program to play virtually any MGP and DVD file – it enables a complete full screen viewing of the Panasonic SV-AV100 clips with absolutely NO jerkiness and great definition and color!

The program is called “VLC Media Player” and has this description:
    “VLC (initially VideoLAN Client) is a highly portable multimedia player for various audio and video formats (MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, DivX, mp3, ogg, ...) as well as DVDs, VCDs, and various streaming protocols. It can also be used as a server to stream in unicast or multicast in IPv4 or IPv6 on a high-bandwidth network.” The great thing about this program is that it is ALSO available in a format for the MAC OSX platform, and thus should enable playback of the Panasonic videos on the MAC !!! The software is free—here is some background on it: “The VideoLAN project targets multimedia streaming of MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4 and DivX files, DVDs, digital satellite channels, digital terrestial television channels and live videos on a high-bandwidth IPv4 or IPv6 network in unicast or multicast under many OSes. VideoLAN also features a cross-plaform multimedia player, VLC, which can be used to read the stream from the network or display video read locally on the computer under all GNU/Linux flavours, all BSD flavours, Windows, Mac OS X, BeOS, Solaris, QNX, Familiar Linux. VideoLAN is free software, and is released under the GNU General Public License. It started as a student project at the French École Centrale Paris but is now a worldwide project with developers from 20 countries.” Here is the site (hopefully it’s not a problem to post this URL): http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html (just click on the operating system you have and it will take you to the download for this great media player!)

Before being able to play the Panasonic SV-AV100 files, you must either edit and save them as an MPG or VOB file with VideoRedo, or alternatively, just change the file designation from MOD to MPG or MPG2 (to change file designations, go in the top option bar to “Folder Options” under “Tools”, then to “View” and uncheck “Hide extensions for known file types” -- then for whatever video clip file you wish, just go to rename and change the “.mod” to “.mpg2” – when finished, it’s a good idea to go back and check the box to hide file extensions to prevent future changes that could easily be made in error to file extensions). I recommend changing the extension to “mpg2” and using the above 1 through 9 steps to add “mpg2” as a file extension to be opened automatically by “VLC Media Player”. Then you’ll have the VLC icon for the video clip files in mpg2 and they’ll be automatically opened by VLC Media Player.

Hope all this helps!

Very interesting -- I'm going to give it a try.

You might want to post this info over at
    http://www.jackbrown.us/camera/index.php

That is the forum devoted exclusively for discussion about the Panasonic SV-AV100. It is a great place, full of information about this unique camera.

Thumbs up

The latest version of this FREE software now lets you play Panasonic MOD video format.
    Been trying to find a simple answer to play my SDR-SW20 files straight from my PC.
    This works on my MSI U130 notebook with Win7 without any modifications to the files.

Sweet. You are a legend . VideoLAN is the answer.
    Last edited by Digbee; 01-03-2010 at 11:17 PM. Reason: Cool thanks to finder of this golden nougat