Thread: Video but no audio from analogue camcorder to PC

Default Video but no audio from analogue camcorder to PC

A have a brand new top spec Medion PC with a medion (7134) WDM video capture card.

When trying to capture 8mm video from my sony camcorder I get video but no sound. The camcorder only has 2 outputs - 1 for video and one for audio.

Funny thing is that the same problem occured on my old pc which had an ATi all in wonder card. (i put it down to the old PC but now I'm not so sure)

Can anyone help?

Do I need special cables. At present I'm using standard cables with the red going from video out to composite video - and the white going from audio out to either the left or right audio in.

This set up works fine when playing through my TV Home Cinema but not on the computer.

What software are you using to capture? Does it have audio settings that enable you to select "line in" or another sound source? Is the sound recording set at minimum? I'm clutching at straws but it might be a start.

I'm using MovieMaker 2 on the XP Home edition.

It has options for Line In etc and I've tried all of them.

I've also set the level to the highest for each.

Do you know of another free editing software that I can try before I spend out on some "expensive" software.

Check Marc Peter's post for guides to the main software vendors. I know that ULead provide trial download. Some of the others may too.

http://www.videoeditingforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=548

I don't know of this will resolve your sound problem. Check your card settings and remember to match colours when linking your camea to your card. Yellow to Yellow (Video) Red to red and White to White.

Good luck!

Thanks, I will try the software.

I think my problem may be that I only have ONE audio output from the camcorder.
    Do I need a cable that has one plug for the camcorder that splits into two for the left and right audio on the capture card?

No. Having only one audio cable means that only one sound channel will be recorded. Simply match the audio cable on your Camera (Red or White) to the corresponding colour on your capture card.

Blog Entries

sadlersmead, this post is not really aimed at you

I seem to remember an old portable TV of mine that had a similar set up, but this was quite some time ago and standards have now changed.

I just really wanted to post to ensure that this thread isn't confused with the more standard set up you get now days where a single 3.5mm jack (normally labelled AV out) feeds stereo audio and a video signal to three seperate connectors. This cable is normally supplied with the camcorder.

Good point. I must admit that I am assuming standard AV (Yellow, Red and White) Leads at both ends, rather than mini-jack.