Thread: Beginner-level software

Default Beginner-level software

Hi, everyone.

I've just joined this board. I know next to nothing about video editing, but I recently upgraded my hardware to get started (more memory and storage). I have a relatively new laptop with a built-in firewire connector.

I need some video editing software. I looked at Adobe Premiere, but its price was outside my range. I bought a program from a company called ulead, but that didn't work out. Any suggestion? I don't want to do anything too fancy at the moment: mainly edit and recombine clips to put up on a website.

TIA

fc

Blog Entries

You can find a list of video editing software links here: http://www.videoforums.co.uk/forum-a...ing-links.html

Most companies offer free trials.

Welcome to the forum, when you say Ulead didn't work out can you explain what that means? They make good software but my personal choice if your budget is limited would be to go for Adobe Premiere Elements 2.0 (or APE2 as it has become known on here) which will set you back about 60 to 70 pounds sterling. It will do everything from capture, to editing, to producing files for output including back to tape, DVD and the web. A laptop wouldn't be my first choice for video editing unless it had some kickass hardware inside (what is it's spec by the way). They usually have much slower processors, small hard disk storage (video eats up hard disk space like you wouldn't believe) and motherboards are underpowered compared to those used in a desktop pc/mac.

Quote Originally Posted by frayedCuffs
    Hi, everyone.

I've just joined this board. I know next to nothing about video editing, but I recently upgraded my hardware to get started (more memory and storage). I have a relatively new laptop with a built-in firewire connector.

I need some video editing software. I looked at Adobe Premiere, but its price was outside my range. I bought a program from a company called ulead, but that didn't work out. Any suggestion? I don't want to do anything too fancy at the moment: mainly edit and recombine clips to put up on a website.

TIA

fc

I use Premiere elements 1 which is quite simple to use and stable in operation.

Another program for beginners is Pinnacle studio but its known to have reliability issues. I started with version 8, upgraded to 9 but binned that because of constant crashes and bugs

Are you running Windows XP? if so have you tried Windows movie maker? Its very basic but as an introduction to video editing and considering you only want to do basic cuts for uploading to websites it might be worth a try! It has the added bonus of being free too
    Last edited by enc; 08-01-2006 at 08:31 PM.