Thread: Shooting a band promo with one camera.

Default Shooting a band promo with one camera.

Does anyone have any hints or tips about filming a band for a promotional video. I only have one camera, so I was going to get them to play the same song about 4 times, filming from 2 fixed locations and 2 close-ups with a roaming camera.

Is this a good way to do it?

Tis the only way I can think of with one cam, but instead of 'getting them to play' get them to play and lipsink to a recorded track then you wont have problems of speedup and slowdown on each take.
    ggmabaapbnebtrbatst

Unfortunately that's one of the drawbacks of only having one camera to do the recording with, you have to get the band to repeat the song, in this case four times. As it is a music video, don't be afraid to experiment with high and low angles and twist the camera around to the right or the left as this is popular in all music shows now. Will there be an audience present or is it going to be a closed session? Is the band performing in a venue or outdoors?

We are going to hire the main hall in a local school for a day where they have a stage, so it will be close to a live performance, but with no audience. We can set up lights and get things looking perfect, as opposed to the rehearsal room where they can't swing a cat!

I havn't done it yet, but I hope to listen to the track and identify interesting sections, like a guitar solos, and then make sure the roaming camera is in the right place at the right time.

Will you be able to control or change the lights during the band performing? I know this might sound like extra work, but if you could capture the band either messing about in a local park playing football or skateboarding or whatever they are into, you could cut pieces of that video into the main video of them performing in the school hall or whatabout them driving to the school and taking a few wrong turns and meeting weird characters along the way.

Why would you want more than one camera? If you're just recording a performance, have as many as you want . . . If you making a film, have one and control it!
    I try to make someone happy every day - but it may not be your turn today . . .

Here's an example of a one-camera performance music video, shot and edited this Sunday evening:

http://www.felixstowetv.co.uk/players/allied1.html

Is this the kind of thing you want to do?

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisG
    Here's an example of a one-camera performance music video, shot and edited this Sunday evening:

http://www.felixstowetv.co.uk/players/allied1.html

Is this the kind of thing you want to do?
    Kind of, but no crowd shots. Where you have dropped in crowd shots to cover when you are moving around, I can drop in shots taken from on the stage: close-ups of guitar playing, drums and vocalists concentrating on the chorus, etc.

Of course everthing seems to have stoppped now while they are all off on their holidays. 5 weeks to wait, bah!

I've done several music shoots with two cameras, but always ended up using one more than the other - here's another example (there are three tracks on this clip, btw):

http://www.peoples-tv.co.uk/music/html/slide.html

It's a tighter compression than I'd use now, but I still quite like it. Shot with 2 cams on tripods with the odd shoulder-shot. Didn't have a crane then . . . . buying one soon!

Ooh now that's good! There aren't too many cuts in there, which gives me ideas!

I like the music on this one too. My type of thing...

Thanks very much for the inspiration!