Thread: Video Editing Pc

Default Video Editing Pc

I recently went into a computer store in Crewe cheshire asking if they would build me a video editing pc I asked for 2 dual core processors and windows xp pro I also wanted the fastest and biggest GPU for quicker rendering and 4 gigabyte of the quickest ram along with a large capacity hard drive.

I was told windows xp pro only supports 2 processors and would not recognise the second dual core processor, The person in the shop also told me that video editing is data intensive and not graphic intensive so I would not need a fast or large GPU am I right in thinking this person was talking from his ******** I thought rendering video required a good gpu and cpu including lots of ram is this true many thanks from Kevin Deegan in kidsgrove stoke on trent
    Last edited by G0UDG; 07-28-2006 at 03:45 PM.
    HELPING OTHERS COSTS NOTHING BUT GIVES EVERYTHING

Smile

Don't matter what GPU you drop in, NLE editors use RAM and CPU and yes I believe he's right about Xp only being able to use 2 chips, also XP will only allow a max of 4 gig. As soon as the NLE's bring out their 64 bit compatable software, then we will see a large leep forward as XP64 enables upto 128gig RAM.
    Smile
    ggmabaapbnebtrbatst

Thanks for the info Yeebsy I thought rendering video didnt just rely on the cpu and ram but also on the GPU Ive learnt something new cheers your help is very much appreciated.
    HELPING OTHERS COSTS NOTHING BUT GIVES EVERYTHING

No probs mate.
    ggmabaapbnebtrbatst

Hmmm, well... I think I'm right in saying that some editing software does indeed look for a GPU and uses it if it can. Ordinarly, the statement that you only really need a processor and lots of RAM would be correct, but there are some notable exceptions where a video card can make a difference.
    Premiere Pro, Encore, Photoshop, Ulead VS6, WXP Pro, Core 2 Duo, 2GB, 2 x 250GB SATA3 drives, 2 x 250GB USB 2 external drive, DVD writer, GeForce 7300 GS 256MB

The biggest fool can ask questions that the wisest man cannot answer...

You have me curious, what programs use the GPU?
    ggmabaapbnebtrbatst

Adobe Premiere 2, for starters... http://www.adobe.com/products/premie...tures.html#nf9
    Premiere Pro, Encore, Photoshop, Ulead VS6, WXP Pro, Core 2 Duo, 2GB, 2 x 250GB SATA3 drives, 2 x 250GB USB 2 external drive, DVD writer, GeForce 7300 GS 256MB

The biggest fool can ask questions that the wisest man cannot answer...

Bloody hell! where have I been hiding. Might have to give it a bash. Ian, or has anyone here tried it and does it make much of a difference? Time sony got their fingers out, mees thinks.
    Last edited by yeebsy; 07-31-2006 at 11:55 PM.
    ggmabaapbnebtrbatst