Thread: interlacing /de-interlacing advice please

Default interlacing /de-interlacing advice please

i tried to get the hang of making a dvd from dv footage a while ago. i read up on the forums, and tried to follow the instructions using TMPGenc i think it was. then i forgot about it, and now i come to follow it up, i find ive forgotten all i learnt!!
    so......back on the forums. ive got the hang of the basics, capture, then edit, then author etc, but i remembered something about interlacing. i made a dvd a while ago following advice on here, but the result was a bit rubbish i thought. it was a bit 'blocky' with lines going through it too. i was told that i needed to de-interlace it i think it was.
    but then it was a bit rubbish when i played it through standalone dvd rather than pc. and i was told that you had to either interlace or de-interlace depending on where you wanted to play the dvd. am i right in remembering that? and if so which way round was it? i want to make a dvd that will play best on standalone.

that got me thinking tho. the dvd's you get from blockbuster etc play fine on standalone or pc. so why would that be? and how do i get the same result?

as i type this im trying to muddle through on ulead dvd movie factory, thinking this might do the work of the little programs like TMPGenc etc, and i wont need to use any other software. capture, edit, author to dvd sort of thing.

am i being unrealistic?

thanks for any help

hmmm as i thought. something wrong. i captured ok using ulead, but when i try to edit or make movie, it says it cannot open mpeg convertor. can anyone tell me what i need please? is it any old mpeg encoder? or does it need to be part of ulead software?