Thread: Be gentle Its my first time

Kilbirnie Ayrshire

Wink Be gentle Its my first time

These are the results of my VERY first attempt at videography
    I bought the kit seen below last year as I was getting bored with retirement and finding some thing to do (Heading towards 69 yrs ) I've never owned a Vidcam before so I've been on a upward learning curve all the way
    Credits go to Crusty for explaining how to get stills from Photoshop CS to Nero VE 3 also to Marc Peters for putting me right on closing titles -- I spent a lot of time decideing who to mention and who to omit ( Fade to black Marc said ) Worked out Nice
    I had a problem shooting the vid as I was always in the wrong place at the wrong time -- There was no rehearsal as the Groom was serving in Germany with the USA forces -- It was my niece's wedding and I was also a guest and
    was declared the official videographer?? I could only do my best with the little knowledge I have of film making

Here are a Couple of clips for your criticism

You've gotta laugh!!!
    My Kit

AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual Core Processor 4200+
    2 - 250gb Seagate H.Ds Raid Stripe
    ATI/EQS Deluxe Motherboard
    ATI Radeon Sapphire PCI800 256mb Graphics
    NEC DVD RW 3540A Dual Layer/Format
    16x48 Dvd Rom
    Serial ATA
    19\" TFT 12ms Screen
    Windows XP Pro
    Canon XM2 Camcorder
    Nikon D50 DSLR Photoshop CS / Elements 3
    Nero 6 Vision Express Editing
    Premiere elements 2.0

I am definitely no expert in video making, so take this post with a grain of salt.

I thought the title sequence in the first clip was just a little bit on the long side. If it were me doing it, I would have made the text travel a bit faster. Each title seemed to be about 15 seconds long; I would shrink that down to 8-10 seconds per title.

Also, I thought it was a bit weird that the bagpipe player in the second clip just stopped playing all of a sudden at about 1:15. From the way he jumped when he stopped, it looks to me like you cut the song short yourself. Rather than simply cut the song there and go to the next clip like you did, I suggest doing a dissolve or fade transition and slowly fading out the music.

I'll be gentle since its your first time. The opening title's, not liking it. It's just my opion but I think they should not scroll but rather fade in and out. there was a little shake to you camara at times, not bad though. The scenes could be cut a little tighter. I thought is was very good though for your first wedding video. I still cringe at the site of my first wedding video. I can't wait to see what you can do so keep at it.

Software Used:
    TGV Edius 6, TGV ProCoder 3, DVD Lab Pro. 2

Kilbirnie Ayrshire

Thanks guys for your crits -- I got off lighter than I thought -- Will bear in mind re length of titles etc in future -- The bagpipe player actually stopped blowing suddenly, as seen - I think It was something the still photographer said I was surprised myself.

Oh well Back to the drawing board for me Cheers guys

Alex, don't go back to the Drawing board. Remember the guys here look at everything with a critical eye and help point out where things could have been done different, If your niece was to get the vid now I bet she would be overjoyed with it. If you are happy with it, give it to them now, they will not be dissapointed.

Kilbirnie Ayrshire

Hi Yeebsy
    Gave my neice the Videos last week 5 copies were sent to USA and another 5 spread around Scotland - As yousuggested my neice was delighted with the vids ( Well I'm her fav. uncle - maybe she didn't want to offend me ) So far I've had no threatening phone calls so every one must be happy ---- Just thought about something I have'nt got a Drawing Board !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Alex C
    Thanks guys for your crits -- I got off lighter than I thought
    Ha Ha............just when you thought that it was safe to...............

If this was your first video (and you weren't getting paid for it!) it was OK! I agree with previous comments about the titles etc but hey - you made it through!

My comment is about the sound quality at the cermony. Next time (and I hope there will be) get yourself a good quality shotgun mic and aim it at the 'combatants'. The speech given by the registrar seemed funny but I couldn't hear it. The most important bit of the whole gig is........"I DO!".

Another thing, take lots of shots of different things so that your editing is interesting and dynamic. Lot's of cutaways etc to maintain viewer interest.

I am pleased that you have taken your first jump. It is always the most difficult one.
    Visit my website at

Kilbirnie Ayrshire

Default Ha Ha............just when you thought that it was safe to...............

Here I was thinking it was safe enough to go outside and face the public !!!

Have got myself a Rode mic so the sound may be clearer - the next time??

My position for filming was dictated by the register (had to stand at the side of stage ) So the register had her back to me and I couldn't get good sound from her
    Being a guest and not the official vidman I couldn't do much about it - If there is a next time i'll be more officious