Thread: Problems with audio...

Default Problems with audio...

Hey guy, I just finished a product for a dance recital and some of the DVDs I sent out to customers work fine and some do not. I have two DVD players and the player in my computer here and they seem to work fine on my end. Below is a description I am getting from customers....

Some don't get audio at all On the disc's, Some get to somewhere in the middle of the movie and the audio just pops in. Is this just a bad burn or is it something in the software? I used Matrox Card to capture the video and audio. All was in sinc in PP 2.0 when I was editing. I then exported the DVD with chapters from PP 2.0 in to Encore 2.0 and built the Menus with animation and all. I used Encore to do the actual burning of the file. Any further information would be great if you guys have experience this before. I am as of right now going to just try burning another copy and letting them try that for the time being. I hope that fixes it.
    Only1Platinum

Intel Pentium D 2.8Ghz Dual Core - 4gb DDR2 PC4200 Ram - 120gb 7200rpm SATA Seagate HD - (2x) 300gb Maxtor 7200rpm SATA HD - Gforce 6800 Pro 256mb - Matrox RT.x100 - Adobe CS2 Premium Suite - Sony DSC-VX1000 3CCD Camera and Panasonic PV-GS300 3CCD Camera

Kansas City, Missouri, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Universe 42

What was your total bitrate?

If you used LPCM audio (1.536Mb/S for stereo 48Ks/S) and a high bit rate on the video compression, your total bitrate may be too high for all DVD players. 9.8 Mb/S is the absolute limit for DVD of any sort. Older DVD players' drives spin the disk at only one fixed speed and can't handle high bit rates until the head is farther out from the hub, if at all.

While LPCM may be universal on all vintages of players, MP1/2 is nearly as well accepted and it will save you 1.1Mb/S on your total bitrate.

AC3 is only accepted on the newer (in the last 4 years) players and the bit rate is about half MP1/2
    Fav quote - "Experience is whatcha don't get 'till ya don't need it no more."

System - Athlon 1.4GHz, Win98, Hauppauge PVR250 receiver and compressor.
    Software -Magix Movie Edit Pro 10, Nero 6 + NeroVision Express, Moho 4.61, PSP 8.1, Bryce, Quicktime 6.52 pro, Goldwave 5, DVD-Lab.
    Cameras - Panasonic GS9, Canon ES8400V, Canon EOS D20 and Canon A70

Default Thanks...

Thanks for the input I have the project re-building now under PCM format. It was set to Dolby Digital. I bet that would be the problem. I set the Bitrate to 8.0mbps. Think That will work for it?
    Only1Platinum

Intel Pentium D 2.8Ghz Dual Core - 4gb DDR2 PC4200 Ram - 120gb 7200rpm SATA Seagate HD - (2x) 300gb Maxtor 7200rpm SATA HD - Gforce 6800 Pro 256mb - Matrox RT.x100 - Adobe CS2 Premium Suite - Sony DSC-VX1000 3CCD Camera and Panasonic PV-GS300 3CCD Camera

Kansas City, Missouri, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Universe 42

That should be good enough. If some people still have problems, it's most likely the burnable media. There are some players that just can't handle burnable media.

There are differences in RW media makers, but it's always a gamble saying one is better than another since there's so many obscure asian factories and too many of the 'big name' brands buy media from whoever is cheapest and put their name on it. It's become a pasttime for some to analzse RW media to see which factory made which brand's disks this week.

One thing that can help a lot is to burn at about half the maximum the media is rated for. This gives slightly better quality.
    Fav quote - "Experience is whatcha don't get 'till ya don't need it no more."

System - Athlon 1.4GHz, Win98, Hauppauge PVR250 receiver and compressor.
    Software -Magix Movie Edit Pro 10, Nero 6 + NeroVision Express, Moho 4.61, PSP 8.1, Bryce, Quicktime 6.52 pro, Goldwave 5, DVD-Lab.
    Cameras - Panasonic GS9, Canon ES8400V, Canon EOS D20 and Canon A70

Thanks for all the input. Loads of help. The project has finished building and all so it seems to be okay. we will see if the customer has any problems with it though. I usually try to burn my media at 4x and its TDK 8x media. So that usually is a pretty successful speed for me. could go as low as 2x but I really don't see the time to quality ratio really being worth that when having to burn 25 or 30 DVDs. Thanks again for the input.
    Only1Platinum