Thread: Firewire or USB2.0

Default Firewire or USB2.0

Is Firewire a better way to capture DV than USB 2.0?

Blog Entries

Realistically, firewire is the ONLY way to capture video.
    Never, ever, ever, ever, ever use USB.

3. Default

data rate via usb is not fast enough.

The other points are it doesn't carry the audio signal like Firewire does and most modern video editing packages are set up only to work with Firewire. I think USB2 is actually faster than Firewire in terms of data transfer, I think one runs at a quoted 480MB/s and the other runs at 400MB/s, correct me if I'm wrong.

Firewire runs at 400mbps continuous. USB2 "upto" 480mbps if it wants, when it wants and that is generally only when it is connected to a printer or something, and who needs 480mbps for that.
    Canon, Edius, Final Cut Studio, Always Progressive, Promotional Video Production

Kansas City, Missouri, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Universe 42

Yes, USB 2 is faster on paper, but in reality it's not capable of continuous, uninterrupted data streams, hence the dropped frames and/or chopped audio.

FIrewire is more than fast enough for DV and it's entire design was intended for long uninterrupted large data file transfers. Originally it was intended for interfacing with high speed external hard drives. The video industry latched onto it when digtal editing started to replace the old analog linear methods..
    Fav quote - "Experience is whatcha don't get 'till ya don't need it no more."

System - Athlon 1.4GHz, Win98, Hauppauge PVR250 receiver and compressor.
    Software -Magix Movie Edit Pro 10, Nero 6 + NeroVision Express, Moho 4.61, PSP 8.1, Bryce, Quicktime 6.52 pro, Goldwave 5, DVD-Lab.
    Cameras - Panasonic GS9, Canon ES8400V, Canon EOS D20 and Canon A70

I am afraid I strongly disagree with the others

USB 2.0 is perfectly adequate for capturing video. In fact Avid's Liquid Pro captures High Definition Video over USB 2.0. While you can bang on about 480 versus 400 and burst and sustained data transfer rates, you should work out what the bit rate is for the data you are actually transferring. HD 1080i requires a sustainable bit rate of around 25 Mbps! So you tell me which of those two formats is better for transferring a data rate of 25 Mbps?

The excellent Panasonic PV-GS400 for example allows the transfer of your video via it's onboard USB 2.0 port.

If this was a question about HDD data transfer rates then this would be a completely different discussion (in which IEEE 1394 would of course win out).
    Lloyd

That's my opinion. If you don't like it I have others

System: Apple Macbook Pro 17, and an external Freecom 500GB eSATA drive.
    Software: Final Cut Studio 2 (FCP 6, Motion 3, Soundtrack Pro 2, Color, DVD Studio Pro 4, Compressor 3), Sonicfire Pro 4.5
    Favourite Resources: Findsounds.com, Free DVD menus, Ken Stone's FCP Page, Wikivid

Actually I will add one other comment. While the transfer rates are perfectly adequate, you should make sure your software will support the recognition and control of your camcorder through a USB port. That can definitely be an issue. I think presently only Avid Liquid supports this, although the new Adobe Premiere Pro 2.0 may (you'd have to check).
    Lloyd

That's my opinion. If you don't like it I have others

System: Apple Macbook Pro 17, and an external Freecom 500GB eSATA drive.
    Software: Final Cut Studio 2 (FCP 6, Motion 3, Soundtrack Pro 2, Color, DVD Studio Pro 4, Compressor 3), Sonicfire Pro 4.5
    Favourite Resources: Findsounds.com, Free DVD menus, Ken Stone's FCP Page, Wikivid

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by LJR
    Actually I will add one other comment. While the transfer rates are perfectly adequate, you should make sure your software will support the recognition and control of your camcorder through a USB port. That can definitely be an issue. I think presently only Avid Liquid supports this, although the new Adobe Premiere Pro 2.0 may (you'd have to check).
    Enough Said!! ;o)
    Canon, Edius, Final Cut Studio, Always Progressive, Promotional Video Production