Thread: Movie Studio won't work on new system

Default Movie Studio won't work on new system

I've upgraded my computer and can't transfer Vegas Movie Studio and get it to work. I copied the Programs folder and the Documents and setting folder to an external hard drive, attached that drive to the new system and copied both onto the C: drive. When I try to start Movie Studio, it demands a registration code. If I enter the one I got when I downloaded it, I am told it is the wrong code.

So far, emails to Sony have received no replies, as usual. I guess, after they have your money, they don't know you. There is no way I'll pay them again. I'll buy a different program from some company that treats its customers better.
    If freedom means anything at all, it is the liberty to tell others what they don't want to hear.

Blog Entries

You will need to reinstall the program properly. Vegas will be looking for the id of your old pc, hence the p word will fail ( i think).

How do you mean install the program properly? I used the original installation file I had to download it the first time. I save all of these and was able to reload all of my other programs with no problem. Yes, I had to enter keys, or activation codes, but they all worked for everything except Sony.

Do these guys stay awake nights thinking of ways to make things difficult for users? If they would give me my money back, I'd buy something else even though I am finally learning how to use this program. Mostly thanks to this forum, not to Sony.
    If freedom means anything at all, it is the liberty to tell others what they don't want to hear.

Blog Entries

What I mean is that you may need to install the program using the downloaded installer rather than trying to use the install from the old pc, same as you did for the first install.

Using the downloaded installer is exactly what I did. As I mentioned, I save all of those in a special file and all of the others I had to use, worked. Only Vegas Movie Studio didn't.

Now, I have to go to the old laptop to do video editing, then save it to a CD and use sneaker net to get it on the new system. Not really what I had in mind when I bought the new system. :(

If you go into your Control Panel and click on Add/Remove programs. Is "Sony Vegas Movie Studio" in the list?

If it's not, then you havn't installed properly. Remove the directory "C:\Program Files\Sony\Vegas Movie Studio", and run the installer again.

If it is there, then it may be confused because the directory "C:\Program Files\Sony\Vegas Movie Studio" existed before you re-installed. Run the uninstaller to remove Movie Studio then Remove the directory "C:\Program Files\Sony\Vegas Movie Studio", and run the installer again.

You may find that the Computer ID is different on your new (or upgraded) PC, in which case you will need to re-register.

Blog Entries

Yes, I agree it may well be the id being differnet is the problem.

What I mean to say is I have done exactly as you suggested. It doesn't matter, I guess because I have just received a reply from Sony where they basically told me to go to hell. I am "free to repurchase the program" if I want.

No thank you. Does anyone know of a good basic video editor for under $100?

I hope to see Sony be the one to go down in flames. I have rarely been treated with such callous disregard by any company.

If you want something that works in a simialr way to Vegas, then try Serif MoviePlus 5.

Thanks for the suggestion. I don't so much care about a similar way, but similar capabilities. Actually, a more friendly user interface and some decent help files would be very welcome. Is there a place where I can get a trial version for download? I tried the Serif site and they didn't seem to have that.