Thread: problem w/ velocity envelope + splitting clips

Default problem w/ velocity envelope + splitting clips

how come when i put a velocity envelope on a clip.. then split the clip into two. the beginning of the second clip isn't where the first clip left off. instead the seceond clip seems to begin much closer to the beginning of the first clip.

is there anyway to avoid that? it's really annoying. when i want to slow down just a portion in the middle of a clip

Blog Entries

I assume that when your splitting the clip, Vegas is referencing the time point of the clip without the velocity envelope applied. So if you calculate the length of the clip before the speed change, you'll know where to started the second clip.

Blog Entries

Or..... If you use the 'Lock envelopes to Events' function, the envelope will remain applied. Also useful if you move the clip along the timeline at all, as the envelopes functions stay tied to the clip. Would be more sensible to have that as a default setting, but it isn't.

(The button is on the top toolbar and has a tiny padlock on it)

Blog Entries

I was hoping an actual Vegas user would tell us the proper way! I really must brush up on my Vegas skills and actually answer questions properly in this section!

M

Blog Entries

Actual vegas user here... right click on the clip and select 'create sub clip', job done.

I should point out that using the velocity envalope tool can be a challenge at the best of times, it requires a degree of lateral thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters
    I assume that when your splitting the clip, Vegas is referencing the time point of the clip without the velocity envelope applied. So if you calculate the length of the clip before the speed change, you'll know where to started the second clip.
    yeh i've been doing that.. its kind of a pain tho i was just thinking there was probably an easier way. but thanks.

Or..... If you use the 'Lock envelopes to Events' function, the envelope will remain applied. Also useful if you move the clip along the timeline at all, as the envelopes functions stay tied to the clip. Would be more sensible to have that as a default setting, but it isn't.

(The button is on the top toolbar and has a tiny padlock on it).
    that was already on. and didn't help.

Actual vegas user here... right click on the clip and select 'create sub clip', job done.
    what does that do? i tried clicking that before and after splitting the clip. and on both sides of the split doesn't seem to do anything.

thanks for tryin to help guys.. i hope im explaining myself ok. or worst yet i hope im not doing something retarded.

Quote Originally Posted by editingOWNZ
    how come when i put a velocity envelope on a clip.. then split the clip into two. the beginning of the second clip isn't where the first clip left off. instead the seceond clip seems to begin much closer to the beginning of the first clip.

is there anyway to avoid that? it's really annoying. when i want to slow down just a portion in the middle of a clip
    You could just Add a new track, split where you want to ("S" key) Then move the clip you want to speed up/ slow down on the next track add your Velocity envelope. Adjust where you want it and your done.
    Wil

Software Used:
    TGV Edius 6, TGV ProCoder 3, DVD Lab Pro. 2

http://www.youtube.com/user/ChapmanProduction

Blog Entries

crating a sub clip stops the end of the clip moving and chnging the end point when the velocity envalope chnges. It may loop but the end point is marked with a little triangle.