Thread: white background?

Default white background?

hi

i'm working on a movie that i'm just doing sort of as an exercise in my little film group. one of the scenes requires a completely white background (think....those old apple switch commercials) except that i don't know how to achieve that aside from actually having a set that's completely white...which we don't have. one of my co-workers say that i should be able to achieve it through after effects, but i've no idea how because i've no idea how to use after effects.

if anybody can point me somewhere, i'd appreciate it.

thanks

Are you planning on putting someone or something in front of this white BG in which case you will have to key them out and superimpose them onto it. You could just use a white graphic image created in something like Paint or Photoshop and set it to a size of 768 X 576 (square pixels) if you are in the UK and just colour it white, save it as a jpeg or TIFF and insert it into a video track in your editor and then insert other video ontop of it, using as I said above Chromakeying.

yes, there is going to be somebody in front.

how would i superimpose the person on top of the white background?

There should be a Video Effect that says green screen effect or something of the sort. You press that and identify the area you don't want changed, and under properties change it from black to white. I'm not sure if it's there but... it should be.

can i use the same feature if i don't have a green screen? or a blue screen for that matter.

Yes, use Chromakeying to remove any colour as long as the person isn't wearing it on their clothes or they will become transparent aswell, the same applies to their eye colour and skin colour. Make sure your background is evenly lit, the best way to do this is shoot your scene outside on a sunny day as the sun is the best light source and will give you an even spread of light on the background material.

On second thoughts if you can lay your hands on a few tins of white paint, a wall that no one minds you painting on and a few of your mates (hopefully with paintbrushes) then use that method instead.