Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wedding vows recording

Default Wedding vows recording

I'll be filming my friends wedding next week. 2 cameras on tripods during the vows and 3 handheld for all the other stuff.
    My question is....should I get a digital dictaphone recorder(eg Olympus VN-120pc) as a backup to the camera mics, to record in the church?, or get a hotshoe mounted mic rather than just rely on the built-in mics?
    Not looking to spend too much as I doubt I'll use sound much in the future.
    Most of my movies to date are underwater and thus, virtually soundless.

Thanks
    Neil
    If you don't stand for something....you'll fall for anything!

Default still rooting around....

HHHmmmm,
    Just read "Turnmedia"s review of the "rode videomic" and reading thru past threads here for info.
    The Rode videomic might just be the job...its the right price on ebay (79).
    According to the review, better than the built in mics.

However, using a standalone digital recorder placed close to the happy couple would give a 3rd independant sound source. Just wonder if one of these may give added security of not missing a word?
    Anyone use one?

Neil

Blog Entries

I certainly wouldn't rely on the built-in camera mic. Rode do seem excellent value for money, especially if it's a "once off".

Think about hiring as well, you may find that a local music shop can rent out radio microphones or a decent stand-alone digital recorder for a weekend.

I wouldn't bother with a digital "dictafone" type recorder since they sound crap! A decent digital recorder costs at least a couple of hundred quid, so you'd be better off buying a decent microphone or renting for a couple of days.

Thumbs up Thanks Guru

Thanks Guru,
    I'll get a rode videomic from Ebay for my main tripod camera.
    The weddings in the south of France and I'm combining it with a longer holiday, so rental's probably not the best option for this one.
    But hey....I can get a NEW TOY.

Thanks
    Neil

Blog Entries

You will still need to be quite close, not much more than 10 ft ideally, and remember to turn the mic on, sounds daft but I occasionally forget and you only got one chance, start with a new batt to and monitor the sound with headphones as you wk.

Have you come up with a method to synch up the sounds from all the different cameras? And make sure you get into a good position at the ceremony.

Sync the cameras using the soundtrack - it's much easier than using a visual sync. At typical weddings we find there's many points at which silence will be followed by clear, distinct noise (organ, speech etc). We sync up three cameras (up to six channels of sound) for our wedding business and then multicam edit in Liquid so accurrate and easy sync's vital.

The other thing is to remember that every time a camera is stopped you'll have to sync the lot up again so don't worry about the tape, just let the cameras run.

Re the first part of your question though I'm afraid that no gun mic will compare to a radio mic for the job you have in mind. If you do take this route check the permitted frequencies you can use in France - I assume you'll be using licence exempt ones in the UK but they're not necessarily the same.
    Last edited by flip1943; 02-23-2009 at 12:35 AM.

Blog Entries

Hi PT,
    If you've read stuff here, you've also no doubt read that a number of regular contributors, myself included, consider the Rode Videomic to be among their worst purchases.
    I'd really see about borrowing/renting.
    And if the wedding is in a traditional church, I'm afraid even Mark W's 10ft is wildly optimistic. These churches have acoustics which sound fantastic for organ music and choral works, with reverb that Phil Spector could only dream of, but for picking out the spoken word, they're pretty dreadful.
    See if you can get in there in advance to try out a few things/positions etc.
    The idea would be lavaliers, but I guess that's not an option (even if you could hire a multitrack recorder and mics)
    A digital recorder in addition is always a good idea in my book. I've got a Zoom H2 and have been pleasantly surprised with the results using the inbuilt mics (less so with externals, but maybe I haven't found the right mic yet).
    Different application, sure, but I prefer its sound to the VideoMic. I use both for live events and mix the two tigether.
    Tim

Blog Entries

Having just read my previous post I must apologize, blame it on Mr Lagavulin. The rode videomic is crap, I don't know why I said it's good value for money, I must have seen one for 62p somewhere.

Mics have to be close to sound good. The further away they are, the more of the surroundings they pick up. A halfway decent shotgun will always sound better than a lavalier or radio mic but, since the close rule applies, it's easier to hide a small lavalier than a whacking great stick of rock.

Good call on the H2 Tim. I've got one and the in-built mics aren't bad at all but I've found that you have to get very close for it to be useful as a voice mic.

Edit: Purple, I would suggest having a look at the Audio Technica ATR35S lavalier (tie clip) mic. It's about 25. Not something I would normally suggest but, let's be honest here, this is a one-off event and you're not going into this professionally. You can use it with the H2 or directly into the camcorder.

If you've got 100 to spare and a fixed camera position with electrical power then the T-Bone radio mics from Thomann.de are very good value for money. Don't even think of using them on a paying job but for a bit of fun, or a once-off they do the job adequately.
    The Tbone TWS Lavalierset 863MHz
    Last edited by Rembrandt Rob; 02-24-2009 at 09:17 AM.

Blog Entries

Interesting update to an old thread, but what interests me more is how it was resurrected.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast