Thread: Scene detection outside of the capture process?

Default Scene detection outside of the capture process?

I've already captured almost an entire tape of DV video and it seems as if I was unable to use scene detection during the process. I'd rather not sift through all the video and divide up scenes. Is it possible to use scene detection outside of the capture process? And if it isn't, is there any other program that I can use to divide up the scenes automatically.

Thanks!

Is this a case of scene detection not working or did you forget to tick the box to activate it?

If the latter then your easiest solution is to recapture with scene detection turned on and/or use a different capture utility to do the scene detection if the Adobe one failed to notice your cuts.

Alternatively, in PPro you can import a long clip set in and out points and add it to your bin as a 'logical' clip. Repeat this for each 'scene' in your long clip so you bin contains an instance of your long clip with different in and out points. Not sure if doing this hold many links to the original clip or whether PPRo is clever and only loads it the once though.

How would I add something in as a logical clip?

What other capture utility can I use? I don't think Premiere recognized my cuts; there was an error about time codes that I don't remember exactly.

Blog Entries

If I were you I'd delete the captured footage and start again. I'm not a particular fan of scene detection myslef as I typically use the capture stage as the first step of editing - why capture footage you know you're not going to use. Although this may seem laborious (and it is) it speeds up your editing efficiency as

1) you can give each clip a regonisable name
    2) you get a feel for what you have (and whjat you don't have!)
    3) on playback you may see something you would have missed
    4) you can group similar clips together in bins as you see them
    and much much more!

So please consider manual capture! Even if you don't I suggest deleting what you have and trying again. Take a read through the help files on scene detection... I don't have the latest version of Premiere at the moment so unfortunately can't give you the current lowdown.

Quote Originally Posted by mechanori
    How would I add something in as a logical clip?

What other capture utility can I use? I don't think Premiere recognized my cuts; there was an error about time codes that I don't remember exactly.
    i must admit that I do what marc is suggesting. It is more wear and tear on the tape mechanism on your camera but for me it saves a lot of time, effort and disk space (given that i work in high def nowdays)

As for logical clips. Not sure if Adobe use that expression but it's an expression I use. Haven't done this for a while and don't have it in front of me to try but you can import a clip as an asset. Set the in and out point in the usual way (this would be a standard RTFM if you don't know how) and then copy it into a bin of your choice. Reset the in and out points and then copy the new settings into a bin under a different name. repeat as necessary.