Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please need questions answered!!!!

Unhappy Please need questions answered!!!!

Hi to all, i'm stuck and it's vital that i know the answers to these questions!

I finished a chapter of my home movie and it's all animation creations( so it took me over one month just to do the title piece) It was created in Aft-Eff's, and when i went to burn it onto dvd through Encore, it said that the aspect ratio was not supported. Now this was saved and created at the normal default setting ratio of Widesreen Ntsc- 1.2 etc. Which i thought being the only default setting for widescreen that it's 16:9 as it needs to be!
    Please help with what i need to do with the current AVI i need burning!!!!

Also i need to know being in Australia, should i be setting it for PAL instead and does Ntsc even work on DVD players over here?

One more thing, anytime i import a AVI file created in After Effects to Premier pro, was does the quility drop so bad once i render it again in prem pro?
    especially the photo's which were perfect before, then prem pro seems to kill them. The size, ratio's are set exactly the same (as mentioned earlier in both programs) Is prem a dud for quality? Also i've tried de-interlacing the photo footage and it doesn't really help. My default settings in Prem are for *None,- should it always be set for Interlace, ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Thanks for any replies, i'm desperate and about to through my brandnew computer out the window

You should always choose the TV standard to match your output, why choose NTSC if you live in PAL region and vice versa. The settings required by Encore to render DV-AVI to DVD are 720x576 PAL pixel ratio 0.9 (4:3) or 1.42 (16:9). The size stays the same only the pixels change shape, DV-AVI settings can be set at the beginning of the composition and also when adding to the render queue.

When adding a still image to Pemiere 2.0 by default it will resize the image to match the project settings, which will kill your lovely full res pictures, go in to the preferences and untick "Default Scale to Framesize" in the general list. The pics will need to be resized but they will look better and this also gives you the option to create pans and zooms using the motion filter.

Lastly when exporting your clip from Premiere make sure that "recompress" and "Optimize Stills" are unchecked in the export settings. This means that anything on the timeline that doesn't need rendering will be copied straight in to your export and other clips will be copied from your rendered files rather than adding a whole new layer of compression.
    Canon, Edius, Final Cut Studio, Always Progressive, Promotional Video Production

Thanks for your help, it's appreciated!
    so if Encore needs it to be 720 -576, but Prem + after effects both have default settings at 720-480 for wide screen, does this mean i must always said my comp's at 720-576 for Encore to allow me to burn it & never use their own default settings for widescreen etc.

and also in your opinion (or anyone else's) whats the best settings alround for making short animation clips, short footage movies etc for the quality to come out somewhat of what it looks when i'm watching it on my computer?

thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by john12
    Thanks for your help, it's appreciated!
    so if Encore needs it to be 720 -576, but Prem + after effects both have default settings at 720-480 for wide screen, does this mean i must always said my comp's at 720-576 for Encore to allow me to burn it & never use their own default settings for widescreen etc.

and also in your opinion (or anyone else's) whats the best settings alround for making short animation clips, short footage movies etc for the quality to come out somewhat of what it looks when i'm watching it on my computer?

thanks again
    720x576 is PAL
    720x480 is NTSC

Your clip size needs to be the same as thre Encore project it is being imported into.

btw, great explanation there miwhel. Well answered.

Thumbs up

The problem being is that when i created my opening animated titles,
    i created them in NTSC, so now when i import the ai into prem pro which is a PAL setting, when rendered it makes my animated stuff all shakey.

i understand that i should have set (and will in future) all my frame sizes to Pal from the begining but unfort for me, i didn't. I took me over a month to make the animation and it now seems devistating to have to get rid of it!

I can make the rest of the movie in NTSC now to suit but then i can't use Encore to burn it or create a repatable title paige for it.

any suggestions?

thanks for both your replies

Have you tried using the "anti flicker filter" in the Motion effects. Also right click the file in the project library and choose interpret footage then choose the PAL setting in the drop menu.
    Canon, Edius, Final Cut Studio, Always Progressive, Promotional Video Production

thanks MiWhel for your feed back.
    but i think i'll just make the whole mini movie now using NTSC settings being that it plays fine on our DVD players here in Aus.
    That's what confused me so much, that it really doesn't make a difference which way i go (Pal or NTSC) it comes out looking the same, plays ok either way. But try and swap one for the other when the files are already made, and it doesn't bare so well!

thanks again and i think i'll just in future be aware to set my defaults up in my adobe software for Pal.

Quick question if you have time, Why doesn't Encore except NTSC? and how do i get Encore to take my movie already made in NTSC, so as i can burn it with titles? Does the quility drop if i just burn it on to DVD using Nero with out titles?

thanks

encore should ask you when you start a new project weather you want it to be NTSC or PAL format. from that point on, that project will be whatever format you chose. I am not sure that you can change it afterwards. never really had to mess with changing it afterwards since I am NTSC in the US. So I never have needed to use PAL since all it does is cause problems over here where only the newer DVD players play PAL format movies.
    Only1Platinum

Intel Pentium D 2.8Ghz Dual Core - 4gb DDR2 PC4200 Ram - 120gb 7200rpm SATA Seagate HD - (2x) 300gb Maxtor 7200rpm SATA HD - Gforce 6800 Pro 256mb - Matrox RT.x100 - Adobe CS2 Premium Suite - Sony DSC-VX1000 3CCD Camera and Panasonic PV-GS300 3CCD Camera

i don't know whats going on because even though i have set Encore up to NTSC it still isn't allowing me to bring in the AVI, i don't know anyone here in Australia into video editing so maybe you could tell me which one i'm supposedly supposed to use NTSC or PAL.
    now when i change my already rendered AVI in NTSC to PAL it gives it a funny look and shape, not to mention makes it a little blurry.
    Maybe i should just stick to NTSC because if i make complete projects to burn in that format it seems to work o.k.
    Someone mentioned early that Encore is set up for Pal but did they really mean the default settings are just set to Pal to start with once loading the Encore program and then you go ahead and change as you please?
    and how come Pal and NTSC both get a play on my cheap ass DVD player i have but yet your saying in the US you need a good player to play both?

Questions Questions!!!!!

What is the AVI format is it uncompressed or DV. Encore should give you an error message, like wrong format or size or something. Have you tried converting it to DVD Mpeg2 and importing it to encore, the file will have to be converted to be burned so converting it before authoring will not harm quality.

PAL players can play NTSC by default, but it is a new feature in NTSC players.
    Last edited by miwhel; 07-21-2006 at 06:28 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast