Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: after effects noob

Default after effects noob

hey all, i just picked up AE 7 and i have no clue how to use it. ive searched and searched and have come up empty handed everytime. Basically im looking for how tos for effects like explosions and shattering, etc. any help would be nice...thanks.

creaitivecow.net or video-copoilot.net have got some good guides.. also looking at 'total training'...

All references above are excellent. I've just got the training DVD from videocopilot. It's great. Expect a review soon.

But my view on AE for explosions.

I'm not too sure here how much AE will help you in creating the explosions themselves. remember, the tool is primarily a compositing and motion graphics tool. There is a particle effect or two in there (which I've not played with incidentally) but you may find it (they) are not up to scratch for what you want.

For explosions and the like most people (well me anyway) look elsewhere to generate the actual explosions and then use AE to composit it into our movie.

I use ParticleIllusion v3 as my particle generator, which I recommend whole heartedly. Another tool receiving rave reviews is Trapcode Particular, but I've not used this so cannot vouch for it personally.

Quote Originally Posted by leathalhobo17
    i just picked up AE 7 and i have no clue how to use it. .
    This is a worrying statement. You mean you spent all that money on the tool without trying the demo version first or reading up on it?

for explosions I would recomend the 'action movie' pack from video co-pilot. on the cd are pre keyed explosions and ive been having loads of fun with these recently - comes at a good price aswell..

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Mills
    This is a worrying statement. You mean you spent all that money on the tool without trying the demo version first or reading up on it?
    I know the basics, i just dont know how to do more advanced stuff, and yes, i did try the demo version.

Quote Originally Posted by innocent_bystander
    for explosions I would recomend the 'action movie' pack from video co-pilot. on the cd are pre keyed explosions and ive been having loads of fun with these recently - comes at a good price aswell..
    It's a good disk isn't it? Did you get the tutorials DVD as well? A great set!

^^ indeed - its a very good set - will hopfully be getting the clouds disc soon.. - the sky replacment with motion tracking looks very intreasting..

^^^ why didnt I get a 'thank you' for my useful post????

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast