Thread: editing on a laptop

Default editing on a laptop

My computer died the other day and I'm looking to buy a new computer. I'm thinking about getting a laptop but I need to know if that' s a bad idea since i'll be using it to edit videos with avid. Does anyone have any opinions on this? If it's a bad idea or if anyone has any suggestions on which computer I should buy? Thanks, Chris

Default Use ordinary PC

Quote Originally Posted by swellbean View Post
    My computer died the other day and I'm looking to buy a new computer. I'm thinking about getting a laptop but I need to know if that' s a bad idea since i'll be using it to edit videos with avid. Does anyone have any opinions on this? If it's a bad idea or if anyone has any suggestions on which computer I should buy? Thanks, Chris
    Hi

I recommend ordinary computer as u can always upgrade or repair broken parts, that could be handy when u've got project going on it.
    Im editing now on laptop and sometimes its hard. Besides computer is half price, can run lots of hours where laptop isnt design for it.
    Keybords on laptops are too fragile specially when u will use only some for editing purposes.
    Screens are usually better with computers and u can see real colors, where in laptop u kinda move your had up and down to check shadows and things.
    There is only one good thing about laptops that u can take it with u in a very easy way but would u really carry this around so much?

Good luck

I've been using my home PC for a while now and have'nt had any problems. A friend of mine uses his sony Viao and says he finds it difficult but through perserverence gets the results in the end.

Yeah sure pc is fine as long as its not laptop - i am using one and it is a nightmare to me.

A Laptop will also suffer from less HD space, so if you'll be using it mostly for vid stuff, you'll need a portable external drive maybe.

They are still more than capable of the job though if you get a nice one. Macbook Pro, Mmmm

Quote Originally Posted by human1333 View Post
    Hi

I recommend ordinary computer as u can always upgrade or repair broken parts, that could be handy when u've got project going on it.
    Im editing now on laptop and sometimes its hard. Besides computer is half price, can run lots of hours where laptop isnt design for it.
    Keybords on laptops are too fragile specially when u will use only some for editing purposes.
    Screens are usually better with computers and u can see real colors, where in laptop u kinda move your had up and down to check shadows and things.
    There is only one good thing about laptops that u can take it with u in a very easy way but would u really carry this around so much?

Good luck

I use a docked Laptop for my video editing it's pretty much on 24/7 and I've never had any problems with it...

Laptops can be upgraded, you can even build one, you just have to be very specific about what parts you buy as each manufacturer has their own standards as far as laptops are concerned, however, they're still not as upgradable as desktops of course,

Laptops are ideal for capturing video direct to disk outdoors, rather thn waste money on one of those horridly overpriced "Firestore" drives.
    It's not about what camera you use or how much it cost.

It's about what you shoot,
    how you shot it,
    and how you edit it :P

Theese days, I persnally dont see how it would be difrent running a laptop with core duo and 1GB of ram, Than it would with a tower. A few years ago it wouldnt be kliek that though.

Internal hard drives are generally slower on laptops. Keep that in mind.