Thread: DVD's don't play on certain players

Unhappy DVD's don't play on certain players

This is a strange one! I was wondering if anyone was having the same problems as me in having difficulty with DVD's authored on DVD Architect not playing on certain players.

I produced a video and sent it to my mum. I also sent the same to my son. The DVD that I sent my mum wouldn't play on a cheap (tesco?) player so she took it to my sister in law's who tried to play it on a fairly recent Phillips which wouldn't play it either. They then tried it on a Hitachi and it worked.

My son's played straight away. We also tried to play another on a friends older DVD and it didn't play but went into another room and the same disc played on a little 15" combo!

The problem with all this is that I produce little DVD picture storybooks on a part time basis and I cannot afford to have a proportion of the discs unuseable.

I am using Phillips DVD-R discs but have never had any problems with the DVD-RW's.

Has anyone got any answers????
    Visit my website at

Bracknell, Berkshire, UK

Well, it's a sad state of affairs but it's true that some DVD players find certain brands of recordable DVD incompatible.

It is happening less and less but it's still a problem.

We went through this with both floppy disks and recordable CDs. Yep, in the early eighties, writing to a floppy disk on one PC was no guarantee you could read it on another!!!. Compatibility issues are still being ironed out for DVDs.

I'm having the same problem. It's a reall pain! The best advice I can give is try a different (more expensive) brand of discs, and burn at slower speeds... oh, and cross your fingers....!

A lot of people recommend Verbatim discs.....