Thread: Exporting footage file.

Default Exporting footage file.

Hi,

I've only fairly recently entered into the world of Premiere Pro video editing and as you'd expect I have a query (or two...)

I have been editing footage taken on a Panasonic mini DV cam (NV GS120) via Adobe PPro; kind of getting to grips with the basics (trimming/audio adding/effects etc) but there's obviously a great deal more to this programme (de-interlacing??? - should I worry about this at the current stage?)
    My current issue is with exporting the footage I have edited together in the timeline as a viewable file (say as a .movs file or .avi).
    I have 5 minute chunks of footage (for a client) but this is taking 4 hours! to export/render across...is this normal? I'd hate to think how long it takes to export a short film in this manner! My PC is relatively fast (1.2ghz) and was built less than a year ago...or is it purely down to the fact dv footage takes up a massive amount of resources/space?

The other query (I'm sure there will be more however ) is that the sequence clips seem to be saving themselves as files (i.e. 5/6 second clips taking up 9mb 'ish') - doesn't this mean that the moive is being saved twice? Once for the export (999mb for 5 mins footage for example) then the same again for the individual sequences??

Really hope somebody can shed light on this!

Many thanks.

soma.

There's only one kind of file you should be using in Premiere and that's .avi as others are too low in quality or won't playback unless you have the required codec (piece of software that allows files, usually non-standard ones to be viewed or listened to on your computer). So stick with .avi's for capture, editing and depending whether you are burning the finished movie out to DVD (which uses .mpg (MPEG)), making a computer file - to upload to a website or put on a CD or you are putting the movie back out to your camera again and onto a blank tape. Your computer for video work is underpowered. You need at at least 512MB to 1GB Ram, a processor running at least 2.4Ghz, an Intel Pentium 4 or AMD equivalent, a large and fast hard disk, it's better to have two disks, one of which is used only for video work. I also personally have a 256Mb graphics card which speeds up everything from effects, transitions, screen redraws and allows me to connect up two monitors so I can expand the timeline to twice it's width and have more windows open and not have to waste time searching for them, if Iwas using only one monitor. Four hours is far too long to wait but that is probably due to you having an underpowered computer and not using the right files (stick to .avi's and burn out to DVD using .mpg).