Thread: smaller than wmv9 files?

Default smaller than wmv9 files?

hi
    i use wmv9 to render my files, is there an option to make them smaller in MBegabytes, apart from reducing the quality. ive heard about real media variable bitrate ? is this any good if so what do i do?
    thanks for help
    simon

Yup, this is a problem for me, too. As usual, Sony's help files are no help. But I have found that when rendering, going to Advanced Render, then Custom, I find options that help. Like using Windows Media Video V7 and setting the video Quality to about 85%. If the audio isn't a major factor in your project, going for a lower audio setting will help some, too.

I hope someone here has some specific suggestions with explicit instructions and settings. So far, all I can do is experiment. This means I sometimes render several times. Luckily, I can spare the time for this, but if I were working to a deadline, this would not be acceptable.
    If freedom means anything at all, it is the liberty to tell others what they don't want to hear.

Blog Entries

I have played with different compression settings and found the best for the web to be:

Bit rate vbr, 700k, Image size: keep original, sound settings: default, WMVv9, all other settings default but set render q to best and I usually change the fps to the projects as I guess that will render faster.

I use 700 kbit /sec reasoning that most people can stream this.

If you want a smaller vid then drop the target bit rate but if you go much lower than 700 you need to drop the res or the vid can skip frames.

There is always a trade off, better quality - bigger file. I also find that a bit rate of 1.5 to 2m is about the same quality as dvd.