Thread: Converting

Default Converting

Hi, I'm new to this forum, as well as being new to the whole video editing thing. Keep in mind I'm only 15, and although I'm quite smart for my age, I'm no Stephen Hawking (<< I also can't make jokes ) I've recently ripped some video files off a disc I filmed, they're IFO and VOB files. I really want to convert these so I can edit them in Windows Movie Maker, because they won't accept them as they are. If anyone can help me, or tell me how I ca convert these files that would be wonderful also if anyone has any reccomendations on video editing software apart from Windows Movie Maker, that would be also great
    Many thanks
    Hayls

Blog Entries

Vegas and many other big editors will edit vobs, he said unhelpfully. Try renaming the .vob file extension to.mpg, sometimes wks, or get a prog called virtualdub and transcode them.

http://www.virtualdub.org/

I would recommend Adobe Premiere Elements 2.0 as it will do all you want in terms of capture, editing and burning out to DVD. It costs around 60 to 70 stg (you don't say what part of the world you live in) and if you do decide to get it, you'll need to rename the .vob extension as .avi as Adobe Premiere can throw a hissy fit when it sees an .mpg file. Just create a project folder for your movie and copy all the DVD files into it just to be on the safe side, then when you have your movie sitting on the timeline, export an AVI version, and hopefully you can forget about using the files you copied from the original DVD.

I've never heard of that program SkyWriter, but as it is free as you say then by all means give it a try and see if it does what you want.