Thread: system requirements

Unhappy system requirements

are my system properties enough to install and use premier pro1.5?
    My notebook is the Aspire 5672WLMi with:
    CPU:Intel Core Duo T2300 1,66Ghz 2mb L2cache
    RAM:2GB
    ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 256 MB Hyper Memory

No problem.

With that Proccessor, ram and dedicated graphics card, you shouldn't have any probs at all. Just consider that you are limited for HDD space so an external firewire unit might be nice for back ups.

Mike.
    Canon, Edius, Final Cut Studio, Always Progressive, Promotional Video Production

That's the problem with laptops is the hard disk capacity is so small and I have to say unless you get a dedicated video capture drive, it won't have the required RPM to capture video fast enough. It will also need a throughput of 3.6Mb/S to capture smooth video, anything less and it will stutter on playback and dropped frames will be reported. There's also the question of a laptops BUS speed. A desktop PC needs a bus speed of 800mhz, I tried to capture video using one that had a bus speed of 533mhz and it simply wasn't fast enough, if someone has managed to do this, by all means post your results. And laptop FSB bus speeds are pretty much around the 400 to 500 mhz aswell.

my buddy just bought a core duo laptop, and it has a 1000 mhz fsb..... its a total beast....
    Mac G5 workstation with 4 gigs of ram, 4x250 gig drives in raid 5. High availability cluster server running centos for a server. 2xCanon GL2 cameras.

TuscSports.com

Wow, how much did he pay for that? I heard Fort Knox was broken into recently.

Question

I have a core duo T2500. It rocks.

What do you think mac minis are?

My old Pentium M 1.4 ghz had no problem running Ppro 1.5 and capture.

I think we all fall in to this trap a little. I would hate to think that people just starting out in the world of editing or wanting to edit a few family videos together, come here and read some of the stuff about sata and multiple raid setups and 2gbs of ram, and go away thinking they can't do it. The truth is they can. I've been editing Video ever since I had an athlon 750mhz, MGI Videowave software on a single 20 gb ata 100 HDD.

For a lot of us here the huge specs are necessary because we have hours of footage, use over bloated software that relies on the latest chip optimisations and uses scratch disks to enhance performance and is capable handling many different file types, compositing, keyframing, colour correction all in realtime.

Straight forward editing with titles and effects is more than possible on laptops and older systems using software like Ulead, puremotion, serif movie plus, Movie maker and Ppro (if your chip has the required SSE onboard.)

Laptops are not a desktop replacement and don't have the performance levels of a desktop, but they are still more than capable, if that is what you have.

Mike.
    Canon, Edius, Final Cut Studio, Always Progressive, Promotional Video Production

I've built a system for my sister - who wants to give video editing a try. I'm having some problems with capturing video and would appreciate any insight.

Here is the system I've built: Athlon 3200 XP with 1 GB of RAM, a 40GB EIDE HDD for Windows XP Home Edition SP2 and an 80 GB EIDE HDD for video editing work. Video card is an nVidia 5900 w/ 128MB. Video capture is the Pinnacle systems Dazzle 90 (NTSC), the software is Studio v9 SE. The Dazzle 90 connects to the PC via USB 2.0 connection. All video input right now is from an analog camcorder.

When capturing video via the Dazzle 90 / Pinnacle studio we find a large percentage of dropped frames. I believe the CPU / RAM of this system is more than adequate for this type of video capturing work; likely the 80GB EIDE drive can't write fast enough to accomodate capturing the analog video. Additionally, the Dazzle USB capture device may not be fast enough of an interface (though you'd think Pinnacle wonuldn't sell a model that couldn't really work fast enough).

Q: Is the 80GB EIDE dedicated drive the problem?
    Q: Is the USB Dazle 90 the problem?
    Q: Should I use an internal Pinacle video board instead of the Dazzle 90?
    Q: Should I add a Raptor SATA 10,000RPM drive to the system for video capture?

Any help from more experienced members is appreciated. Thanks.

Miwhel, when you were 'happy' using your Pentium M 1.4 ghz and athlon 750mhz, MGI Videowave software on a single 20 gb ata 100 HDD, how long did it take you to knock up half an hours worth of video? Was it minutes, hours, days and how many times did those systems freeze, crash, clunk along at a snails pace etc? (Now be honest - LOL).