Thread: Is Ram more important than the actual processor?

Default Is Ram more important than the actual processor?

Is Ram more important than processing power?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi all adobe users,
    quick question?
    I edit on a 2.8 p4 with 256 Ram, i can't see the view screen as i edit my footage, only in slow moving jumping frames,
    now my 1.8 p4 computer has 516 Ram but ofcourse the slower processer but it still runs much better.
    Everything else between the 2 computers are the same so the conclusion i have come too, is that it's more important to have more Ram than it is to have a faster processor.
    Is this correct or is their another reason?
    Thanks for any replies!

2. Default

The phrase would be "as important". And along with that is the graphics card. To edit video 1 gig ram is a good start. A good video card with 128meg of ram but it does not have to have top of the line 3d rendering engine since video doesn't use any of that. It is also VERY important to have as few processes running as possible. For me if I am going to have a editing session I unplug from the internet and turn off all the anti-virus, spyware, firewall, etc stuff.

I agree. When I go into an editing rage I will shut down everything so I don't have interuptions. Unless your running an AMD Dual Core processor then its a good idea to shut things down. But for your question is ram more important. Im gonna tell you no because all of the pieces are important. With a FX-60 in your machine and 900 mb of ram then what are you gonna have? Same goes with vice versa. If you get something they all have to be compliant and half decent. A good start would be an AMD 3000+, 1 gig of ram, 80 gig hd, nvidia 6600 GT 128mb.

Thanks guys for feed back,
    I have just bought 2day a Dual processer, 1 gig Ram, 200 g hardrive but forgot to mention about the graphic card, so i'm not shore if it comes standard in the motherboard or seperate. Find out when i pick it up Monday.
    I was more wondering just on the fact that the Ram seemed to be more important than the processor when it come to me trying 2 diffferent computers for editing. Thanks

5. Default

Video built into the mother board will NOT be good. There are a very few bulit in video sections which are good for this and the main reason is that they share the ram. You should probably add in a good card.

You don't even need to get a good graphics card... any graphics card will do, as long as it's not sharing with the real ram (integraded).

O.k thanks for replies.
    I'll be getting a good graphics card soon, i'm sick of using After Effects with out seeing it played back at a reasonably speed. Prem pro also.

Thanks