Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Panasonic 3CCD?

1. Default Which Panasonic 3CCD?

Hello people. I am fairly new at the camcorder game but my experiences with my single panasonic CCD cam has been ok in general. The main problem i seem to encounter is lack of quality in low light situations.
    I have been saving up for a while now and have managed to generate nearly enough funds for a Panasonic 3CCD camcorder. I've had a little look on a couple of websites and have seen the models PV-GS500, PV-GS300 and PV-GS180. After a little look it seemed to me that the only difference might be the quality of the Still pictures they take? Is this the only difference or are there other differences?
    I don't really need it to take great stills as i already have a good digital still camera.
    Also, can anyone recommend any places where i may be able to get good value for money, other than e-bay?

Thank you in advance for any help.

Edit - Just noticed that there are others. What's the differnce with the 150, 250 and 400? Thanks.
    Last edited by barryzola; 06-23-2006 at 04:51 PM.

Ag-dvx100a/b
    CDB Productions

The ones you mentioned first are this year's replacements for the others (numbers increasing respectively). Not necessarily better. The best of those is the GS400, followed by the GS500.
    For the best quality and features, get the most expensive one you can afford. Ideally, the GS400. Any of those cameras is very good, though.

As said before, go for the highest numbered one you can afford, I have a little Panni GS75 and the picture quality is fantastic for such a teensy weensy camera.
    ggmabaapbnebtrbatst

Go for the models with a manual focus ring as auto focus can let you down if you are shooting through glass, iron bars, wire fencing etc or if there is a crowd of people in front of you, it is certainly worth the extra expense. A manual zoom lever however small would be perfect or even a redesigned electronic slider (most of the ones on cameras now, including Panasonics are crap) as it is almost impossible to do a reveal shot smoothly. As far as low light is concerned, don't be swayed by some sales person telling you the camera will allow you to film in total darkness, yes, if you want utterly useless images, you need a few thousand lux to get good images.

6. Default

Thanks for the feedback guys, it is much appreciated. I've heard that the gs400 is a great model for my needs. I think i'm going to go for that as soon as i find a good place to get one at a good price. Thanks again for the advice all of you.

Nikosony wrote: regarding zoom levers, "most of the ones on cameras now, including Panasonics are crap" Im sorry but I have to disagree here, the panasonics are very smooth at this with their variable zoom and can produce outstanding results.
    ggmabaapbnebtrbatst

I have a Canon MVX250I and the rocker for the zoom is great, I have lots of control over the zoom and have recorded lots of video for my friends rock band with it getting very good results considering this is only a one CCD camcorder. So not all rocker levers for the zoom on a camcorder are useless. I hope this helps.
    HELPING OTHERS COSTS NOTHING BUT GIVES EVERYTHING

Well, I guess there must be something wrong with the index finger on my righthand, if you guys find it so easy, as everytime I try to zoom in or out it works fine for most of the shot and just when I think I'm on the home straight, whoosh and it jumps, ruined shot. It's far too small aswell, they want to get rid of that ridicolous digital zoom, utterly useless, and so is digital image stabalisation, a photo mode that records to tape, solarization, mirror, paint (I could go on...)

I just got the AG-DVC30 off ebay and I love it....has all the features that you would ever want.
    -Bayne-

www.baynewerkz.com

XHA1, RedRock M2 - Nikon, AT4073, Green Screen, Final Cut Studio 2.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast