Thread: Huge files, big problems...

Default Huge files, big problems...

I've been having some trouble with big video files. Whenever I put them into Premiere it'll run really slow for maybe a few seconds and then lock up. (They're 12 or so Gbs, about 1 hour long) If anyone has pointers on a good way to get around this lemme know. I want to cut them up into easier pieces but the lock up comes a few minutes too early to do that.

For the record, my pc isn't terrible. 3.06GHz processor, 128MB video card, and a Gig of ram. Sadly, these files still tax it too much.
    Stick it to the MAN!

as i have recommended in another post, try setting your virtual memory to max (4096 if you are running windows xp).... to do this, right click on my computer, then click on properties.... click advanced.... then click on setttings for performace. .... click advanced in there.... then click change at the bottom.... then click on custom size, and change it to 4096 in both prompts. then click apply, and ok on the windows, your pc will reboot, and should be alot smotther. This is highly recommended for editing, because the virutal ram will not cause your hdd to thrash (which causes extreme amounts of lag when dealing with large files).... and also it will not fragment as much, and as often.
    Mac G5 workstation with 4 gigs of ram, 4x250 gig drives in raid 5. High availability cluster server running centos for a server. 2xCanon GL2 cameras.

TuscSports.com

Quote Originally Posted by grewell912
    as i have recommended in another post, try setting your virtual memory to max (4096 if you are running windows xp).... to do this, right click on my computer, then click on properties.... click advanced.... then click on setttings for performace. .... click advanced in there.... then click change at the bottom.... then click on custom size, and change it to 4096 in both prompts. then click apply, and ok on the windows, your pc will reboot, and should be alot smotther. This is highly recommended for editing, because the virutal ram will not cause your hdd to thrash (which causes extreme amounts of lag when dealing with large files).... and also it will not fragment as much, and as often.
    You dont state if your trying to save to the same harddrive that premiere is running from, if you are then i would suggest using a seperate harddrive to save to.I also seem to remember that with older versions of premiere there was a problem saving larger files than 12gb but they did bring out a patch for this and if you search adobes site for downloads for your version of premiere then you might find this also helps.

Alan