Thread: Out of Memory Problem - Premiere Pro 1.5 & 2.0

Talking Out of Memory Problem - Premiere Pro 1.5 & 2.0 - RESOLVED!!!

Hi Guys,

I have been using these products for a while now, and the problem only manifested itself when i installed Pro2.0 on the same machine as 1.5 without uninstalling 1.5 first.

This appears to have broken the installation.

Capturing video is going horribly wrong.

I'm capturing from a handycam using a firewire cable onto a raid 5 array (750Gb of space)

The system has 2Gb of ram and the application just chews the ram during the capture until a message pops up saying no more virtual memory!

This happens only after 15-20mins of capture!!! this never happened before, i used to just press record and leave a whole 60 minute tape going and it would finish without a single problem - now even after 6 minutes:

• The capture controls stop responding

• I cannot stop the capture

• I forcibly exit premiere

• The resulting capture file is just a bunch of clicks and hisses without any video at all

Oh, one more thing i noticed - i actually rebuilt a whole new machine and installed only premiere on it - the exact same problem - the source files were the same for both installations!!

I'm thinking the only thing that could have had an impact is some windows Updates installed on the machines? because the newly built machine i also installed SP2 and latest updates available.

So any ideas??

Thanks alot for any assistance you may offer.
    Last edited by superfly; 06-25-2006 at 04:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by superfly
    I'm thinking the only thing that could have had an impact is some windows Updates installed on the machines? because the newly built machine i also installed SP2 and latest updates available.
    Ppro 1.5.1 and 2 need SP2 so having it installed is not an option.

After complete uninstalling, re-install Premiere Pro 2. Windows default virtual memory is sufficient for capturing but if somehow it reduced, increase it.

on my editing rig i run it with both paramaters of the virtual ram set to 4096, and that way A) it never changes, resulting in the computer thrashing, B) it doesnt fragment the hell out of the computer, and C) the machine runs alot smoother whilst editing.
    Mac G5 workstation with 4 gigs of ram, 4x250 gig drives in raid 5. High availability cluster server running centos for a server. 2xCanon GL2 cameras.

TuscSports.com

Thanks Guys,

I've increased the virtual memory settings and should have enough now, however the capturing is still very strange.

Do any of you experience a delay of between 10seconds and up to 1 minute from when you press escape to stop capturing until the "Save Captured File" dialog box pops up?

I'm doing some testing and trial and error stuff - will report back with findings - im glad to have discovered this forum!! been doing some reading around the place and it's very informative.

Unhappy

Ok, small update -

Small captures appear to be working fine (less than 1 minute)
    RAM is constantly increasing during capture - i have never monitored this before, but previously i never ever once got a message that the app is running low on virtual memory.

I initiated a 15 minute capture, which went ok without any problems, until i wanted to stop the capture

I pressed Escape and PPro stopped capturing footage, however the preview window still had the tape running from the camera - i then pressed the stop button in the capture window - no response - video was still playing.

So I manually stopped the camera.

Now i have been waiting more than 7 minutes for the "Save Captured File" window to pop up - still nothing - if i force ppro to exit, the captured video file - while it is on disk, will be just clicks and hisses - no video no audio!!!

Isnt this app supposed to write captured data to disk basically instantly?? it looks to me like it is saving it all in RAM as well as on disk, because the file on disk is also constantly increasing!

I'm gonna rebuild the machine again and this time only apply SP2 - no updates - no nothing!

All the above done on ppro 1.5

Well, i've been waiting 12 minutes - i killed the application - will report back later - sounds like no one else has had this before - so most likely something local to my setup...

I hate troubleshooting

Ok, another update...

Just restored an old (about 1 year ago) ghost image of my machine which i found while going through the system disks...

it appears as though everything is working properly as it should !!

I'm still going to do some extensive testing...

Talking

So - here's an interesting development!!

I installed ppro 2.0 fresh on this restored ghost image, and started a capture - the first time i started the capture, the whole project was on a standalone disk in the system... everything was working well, controls worked, RAM did not increase AT ALL and it was cool.

At this point, i believe a disk layout would be beneficial:

C: - System Disk 8Gb
    D: - CDROM
    E: - 120Gb Disk
    F: - 80Gb Disk
    X: - Scratch Disk - Hardware Stripe Array (RAID 0) 2 x 120Gb Disks = 240Gb
    R: - Video Disk - Hardware Raid Array (RAID 5) 4 x 250Gb Disks = 750Gb Usable Space

I setup the raid especially to store all my video projects...

next I went into the preferences and changed the scratch disks to the following:

Captured Video: Same as project (R:)
    Captured Audio: Same as project (R:)
    Video Previews: (X:)
    Audio Previews: (X:)
    Media Cache: (X:)
    DVD Encoding: (X:)

Started a capture - RAM was being used up VERY quickly - again, it was like the app was not saving any of the captured data to disk, rather it was just storing it all in RAM.

After about 6 minutes, i pressed ESC to end the capture, and as was happening before - damn video kept running, the controls would not work so i just left the machine and went to eat something... I noticed as soon as i pressed ESC - RAM stopped increasing and started to decrease.

When i came back, i was surprised to see that the "Save Captured File" box had popped up asking me to save the clip!

I did and it was a good clip - the longest i have been able to capture with full audio and video since this problem started!!

was something wrong with the R: drive???

Next i tried again to capture a file, however this time i changed the project location to E: so captured audio and video would be saved in E: drive, which was a single disk - no raid no nothin.

guess what?

RAM usage DID NOT SHIFT it was not increasing at all?!? i left it running for about 15 minutes and then as soon as i pressed ESC, the "Save Captured File" box popped up asking me to save the capture?! No problems at all?!?!

Now i was really sure it was the Raid5 array causing this problem...

So I tried it again!! worked no problems!!

Which brings me now to my new Question - for which i will open a new thread i think - it deserves one!!!

Does ppro have a problem with raid 5 arrays as the capture area?

I have not tried to capture to the stripe array - will try that next - its getting late and i have work tomorrow...

I hope this thread has provided useful info for someone.

Laters...

Talking

After some more testing, i finally found a little check box within the RAID 5 array's controller configuration that says "Enable Write Cache"

This checkbox was NOT checked and when i checked it - WoW it all started working like a charm!!!

The only thing now though is the userguide says that enabling this without a battery backup unit for the raid controller could result in some data loss should a power failure occur while i'm writing data to the raid...

the BBU is about $100USD...

I think i'll be getting one soon - or i could capture to the Stripe array and then copy the file to the R: drive...

In any case, this issue is resolved

Laters!!