Thread: PAL to NTSC interlace flicker issue

Thumbs down PAL to NTSC interlace flicker issue

I have a PAL project which I need to convert to NTSC mpeg2. The video flows well and looks beautiful however the graphics and all the text have an interlacing flicker/wobble.

Any ideas on how to adjust my encoding settings to sort this out?

(using Sony Vegas)

Kansas City, Missouri, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Universe 42

I can't quite get a handle on this.. could you post a link to a short-short clip from the offending video?
    Fav quote - "Experience is whatcha don't get 'till ya don't need it no more."

System - Athlon 1.4GHz, Win98, Hauppauge PVR250 receiver and compressor.
    Software -Magix Movie Edit Pro 10, Nero 6 + NeroVision Express, Moho 4.61, PSP 8.1, Bryce, Quicktime 6.52 pro, Goldwave 5, DVD-Lab.
    Cameras - Panasonic GS9, Canon ES8400V, Canon EOS D20 and Canon A70

Blog Entries

Kind of guessing - NTCS is alledged to be poor at handling contast / colour - try reducing the sat / brightness of the credits a bit ??? Blurr the edges maybe too.

KRUSTY: here is a short sample: www.mediachill.com/irishmark/test9.mpg
    On the 3D text look at the top edge! (do a right click and save target as)

Mark, - Colour is not the issue, All the video has come out fine and looks great its just the graphics - Blurring is not an option as it will loose definition. The pal version is crisp and the ntsc neede to be so also.
    Last edited by irishmark; 06-22-2006 at 11:49 AM.

Blog Entries

I see. I think the prob is the way ntsc handles the contrasty edges. The clour resoloution is lower than the screen res in the DV codec and this is wrosened by the ntsc color probs.

You might be outside the allowed colours with that red, try reducing its saturation a bit.

I have had this prob and fixed it with blurr, you only need a tiny tiny amount sometimes, hardly noticable, just try a little bit of quick blurr over the problem area.

If that dont wk, maybe a work around by not overlapping the title with the red circle?

Blog Entries

...or maybe you could put some red glow around the 3d text, this would mean there would be nop contrasy edge... that is what I would do I think.

Cheers Mark but this doesn't solve the problem it just sort of side steps it. I know that i could apply a quick blur but when this is shown on a large screen that blur shows alot! Also I cant apply a red glow or any glow to the footage as this then changes the branding of this project which is simply not doable. I know the problem is down to endcoding settings as I have seen it sorted before. I shouldn't neeed to apply any extra visual effects on my project master to get it crisp as per the pal.

Anyone got any guides on pal to ntsc mpeg2 conversion?

Blog Entries

I see, tht that might be a problem. TBH I am a bit out of my depth here. I dont often do anything ntsc or mpg for dvd. Crusty is your man there....