Thread: Tiny cam split screen test - Park

Blog Entries

Default Tiny cam split screen test - Park

I got a tiny cam recently, http://www.videoforums.co.uk/camcord...rview-cam.html

This is the first footage I shot with it. The split screen shows the problems in the very bright sunlight. I guess this is cos it has no lens hood and no nd filter, all that stray light bleaches the image.

I was pleasently suprised overall. Everything was shot on full auto with some shots having the aniwobbler on, some also shot with the w angle.

I never saw the need for antishake b4 but with this tiny cam it is often needed.

To get the improved image on the left I had to fart around with the curves for ages.

http://www.zaskarfilms.com/Films/Temp/flatncurved.wmv

Smile

Yep, my little Dixons ‘bargain’ cam gives the same way-overexposed effect. Bright sun doesn’t help, but with nice overcast cloud, I can get crisp, well-defined colour & sharpness. Single-CCD jobs can be ok within their limits.

Found your website camcorder helpfile interesting, but I still don’t want to buy an expensive jobbie just yet. Love the idea of a second hand professional shoulder-mounted monster, but in this area of north London, photo-jerbilists (should that be journalists?) are viewed with suspicion.

Will this piece be part of your comp entry?

Red face

I am certainly no expert, but I am using a sony pc101 for all my filming at the moment. I am thinking you might get some real improvement in the daylight shots with a polarizing filter. I think the later model handicams seem to handle the bright light a bit better.

There is also in mine some settings for outdoors, beach & snow, and a few other presets. They are buried in the menus on the touch screen. That may get you some better results also, not relying on the internal computer to compensate.

I really love mine, and if you search for my prior posts, there are two links to films I put together using the 101, one in the sunshine of the Sierra Nevada mountains, and the other shot outdoors in the Northwest (USA) with partial sun and partial clouds.

Hope that is of some assistance.

Blog Entries

Thanks for the suggestions. I think that the trick is just to use each camera within it's limits. As suggested trying some of the presets and / or trying on manual may help. I suspect the overexposed look could have been reduced by using some spot metering... I just wanted to try it on all auto first off.

Tony - Shoulder mount cameras are great to use and give nice pro looking steady shots - but you sure do get noticed, that is why I got my big camera, it is great for vox pop stuff and helps me to get access often. However it cant do some of the things the small camera can.

Like...

I am getting in the habit of taking the samll camera everywhere just in case a plane crashes in front of me, or something like that ! And you wouldnt want to take a biggie on holiday or anything like that.

I suppose the samll camera means I may shoot more spontaneous stuff (like the jam film) but I will save the big camera for stuff where quality counts, or I just want to show off...

edit

Tony - no, not part of my comp entry, got a short drama up my sleeve, if I can do it in time !
    Last edited by Mark W; 06-22-2006 at 09:23 AM.