Thread: Firewire woes...

Default Firewire woes...

Hello all.

I have a lovely new Dell 9150, and purchased from Ebuyer this Firewire card that has x4 USB and x2 Firewire connections. http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/home/index.html? search code is 60608.
    I have spent the last two or three days trying to get my PC to hold the feed from my (ageing) Panasonic mini DV camcorder model no. NV-DS5.
    So far no software has been able to maintain the link. I have downloaded Ulead 10 and Adobe Premier elements 2. These along with Windows own movie software will not capture and the camera will break the connection (or I'm thinking it's my Firewire card).
    Last night I was able to go some way further in establishing the source of the problem as I borrowed my neighbour's pretty up to date Sony camcorder model DCR PC110E and I experienced all the same problems as I did when using my own machine.

95% of the comments on Ebuyer are very positive about the card, and I have also tried another cable and the same occurs.

I am reasonably competent on my machines, but drivers I find tricky. Is it worth me uninstalling this card and using the drivers in the pack...can someone walk me through that if you think it's worth my while?
    Also, the driver CD has so much on it I am unsure what to load and what not to.

Or should I just plumb for returning the card full stop? I would prefer to find a quicker solution within my settings, but realise this may not be possible.

I should also add that the USB sockets on this card work fine, and that my camcorder will cooperate fine on my older XP laptop.

I am of course at this point disappointed that my new desktop will not play ball with all this kit as it is ready with masses of RAM and processing power!

Yours in hope,

Nick

There shouldn't be any need to install any drivers for a Firewire or usb card, windows xp should detect and install the native windows drivers.

Try a system restore to before the installation and reinstall the the card to a different slot and let windows sort it out.

If no joy then probably a duff card.
    Canon, Edius, Final Cut Studio, Always Progressive, Promotional Video Production

Quote Originally Posted by miwhel
    There shouldn't be any need to install any drivers for a Firewire or usb card, windows xp should detect and install the native windows drivers.

Try a system restore to before the installation and reinstall the the card to a different slot and let windows sort it out.

If no joy then probably a duff card.
    Many thanks for the reply Miwhel.
    Not sure if I have another slot free...what then?

Send it back?

Thanks,

Nick

did you installed it correctly? That's very expensive for a firewire card + usb. I got mine for only SG$19 which is around 7 pounds.
    You do not need to install because your PC wil detect it. To see if it is installed, go to my computer >> right-click >> properties >> Hardware Tab >> Device manager >> Network adaptor.

You may have disabled the connection to the firewire card. so go to connections to see if it is enabled/disabled.

Default Sorted...

I have overcome my firewire issues by replacing the card itself.

It was a value type from Ebuyer...PC couldn't have liked the lower quality

All is good now with a Belkin replacement.

All I have now are a few software issues :-(

I shall repost when I get the chance.

Thanks all for looking in.

Nick