Thread: Without Jam - Arty ?

Blog Entries

Default Without Jam - Arty ?

Ritsoccer86's 'it's a wonderfull world' along with my new teeny cam inspired me to do something a bit arty.

Here it is, 'Without Jam'.

http://www.zaskarfilms.com/Films/withoutjam.wmv

Pretentious ? Ridiculous? For sure, but I think it kind of works.

It is also a bit of a spoof on Koyaanisqatsi.

Not bad, Mark, but IMO not quite up to your usual standards. I donít pretend to understand it, but I think the cam lingered too long on most shots. Very creepy, whether you intended it or not!

Blog Entries

Tell the truth it was made in a jiffy. That new camera is fun cos it is so small. We were eating al fresco and I just grabbed the camera and shot that stuff, then recorded some of the waffle and just played around in the editor.

I was aiming for a odd feel when I edited the footage.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W
    Tell the truth it was made in a jiffy. That new camera is fun cos it is so small. We were eating al fresco and I just grabbed the camera and shot that stuff, then recorded some of the waffle and just played around in the editor.

I was aiming for a odd feel when I edited the footage.
    Well, you got it...lol I found it very odd indeed. Not your best work Mark but it was interesting.
    Wil

Software Used:
    TGV Edius 6, TGV ProCoder 3, DVD Lab Pro. 2

http://www.youtube.com/user/ChapmanProduction

Blog Entries

Have you seen koyaanisqatsi? If not do, it rules for camera people... Anyway I was trying to do a sort of spoof of that.

i kinda almost threw up watching that.....its arty alright but kinda gut wrenching....those close ups of the food and knives.....uh haha gut wrenching yes sir...but keep at it...

Blog Entries

Just got back from a hard week's work, clicked onto Zaskar's latest and...

You either get it or you don't. If you're into modern art, have an open mind and can get pleasure from visuals without a story, then you'll get it. If you need fast, snappy, mtv video, then you won't.

Strangely MarkW, I don't know if you really appreciate your own stuff. I sat entranced with that vid. It's not something you can expect to get a rock'n'roll kick from, you need to have a few minutes to relax and let the images flow. I'm not a great fan of Phillip Glass's music but it worked wonderfully with this stuff. I really could imagine that I was in a warm garden, Sunday afternoon, a couple of friends, just chattin'.

On the video side, at first I felt that there was a element of suspense, if this had been the title sequence to a mystery thriller, I wouldn't have been surprised. Then it grew on me, the slow, deliberate and skilfull camerawork were a pleasure. Normally the pace would have irritated but it really fits with this theme. Oh, and my missus enjoyed it to and, as a working artist, she can be really scathing about some video.

I know it may seem that I'm a founder member of the Zaskar Fan Club, but I just say it how I see it and since I happen to see a lot of pretentious videos, when someone comes along who entertains me, I tend to be a bit effusive.

Blog Entries

Thanks Guru, appreciate the comments. Glad it worked for you. I was trying to get a kind of odd effect... using extreme close ups and pans of the dinner stuff with sound actually of us having dinner, I was hoping for a, oh I cant find the word... well odd effect.

Ritsocc, sorry you gagged ! I actually found the close ups of the food really intersing.

Expect more like that as i have a macro lens with my new tiny cam.

Interesting to note that I would never have shot that with my big cam, I had actually forgotten the resrictions of the big cameras.

PS Guru, the application form for hte fan club is in the post....