Thread: Rendering woes

Default Rendering woes

So I am trying to render a video I captured with fraps from a video game... I've edited it in great detail and im snagged at some very minute details

I want to render it into mpeg2 format, because it seems to be a very nice quality when I do this. I've noticed it seems to have problems with a black background and text. My credits might fast forward or animate in a very choppy way. Can anyone explain why mpeg2 does this? I think it has to do with empty spaces in the footage - black background.

I can kind of fix it by throwing a 50 percent transparent layer of some footage, but I really just would like a black screen with an intro credit... its like the whole 5 min video renders perfectly but the two credits before and the credits at the end have serious issues...

Or maybe someone knows a better format to render? Its a 5 min video, currently divx renders about 68 megs, mpeg1/2 around 110. I think the quality of the divx is kind of poor compared to the mpeg2. I don't want the video over 150-200 megs.

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by droogan; 06-20-2006 at 10:06 PM.

Not really a technical solution but have you tried rendering your credits in seperate projects? Cuz I'm thinking maybe if you use a higher compression for just the credits then import the movies into your main project it'll all end up the same in the end.

I'm sure there's a better solution (or suggestion for a solution :( ) but I'm not sure what would cause those errors.

Default yeah

I actually tried this. Its a little better when I do it that way, but it still randomly fast forwards through credits.

4. Default

There is a good chance that the levels of the white or black or both are too extreme for the video domain. Computer video is much more expanded compared to tv video. (computer video has a greater range than tv video) You hit the nail on the head when you said that putting a layer over the video helps. Try using the editing software to raise up the black level so it isn't so black or bring down the white level or both. Also the movement of the credits can give a highly compressed format like mpeg2 or divx a problem. Do you have anyway to render using a 2 pass system. A 2 pass system can see the movement of the credits and make adjustments for it.

Default hm

I am using vegas 6, does that have a two pass system? Im going to try adjusting the levels on the white/black, that will likely help.

Blog Entries

Even when rendering to DV avi I get weird effects with white text on black, as suggested try 90% white on 90% black.

Default hm

I know how to set opacity... but how do I set the black to 90% and white to 90% in vegas? noob question

Blog Entries

Use the brightness and contrast plug in on the bit with the text.