Thread: Getting A Still

Default Getting A Still

Hi, I basically want to capture a single frame of a video for printing like you can do in Movie Maker in Premiere 2.0, does anyone know how to do this?

Quote Originally Posted by Scriptmaster
    Hi, I basically want to capture a single frame of a video for printing like you can do in Movie Maker in Premiere 2.0, does anyone know how to do this?
    Premiere Pro has a nice export frame option. Use that. it's not in front of me right now but as I recall, it produces a BMP file. However, depending on your input video source though, before you can use it you might need to apply a de-interlace filter to it to 'clean' the still up a bit. Photoshop has a great de-interlace still option that I always use after exporting stills.

Thinking about it, I'm not sure the exzport frame option is a menu item in it's own right. The 'frame' option is likely an option within somethign like 'Export - Movie'

Whenever you export the frame it will be no bigger than the size of the video, either 720x576 or 720x480 if you're using NTSC. I don't know what size that will be in centimeters but it won't be that big and at only 72dpi resolution, it will be blurry.

All too true. I normally print photos at 300dpi and so with normall DVD resolutions you'll get an image of the order of 2.5 x 2 inches. However, with decent s/w (Photoshop?) you could digitally zoom it a little and lower the dpi down to 200 to make the image a bit better.

Actually, this is one of the things I truly love about editing HDV. At an effective resolution of 1920x1080 you can produce a photo print of a still at something like 6x4in. Great for those DVD cover images.